1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why does Fender Japan get so many more options?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Dec 9, 2006.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The only Fenders here that aren't so typically Fenders are the Jazz 24, the Aerodyne, the Stu Hamm, the Beck, and the US Deluxe Ps.

They get inlays, bindings, pickguards and *gasp*, the option to have a maple board instead of rosewood on some of the odder models.

If only the Aerodyne and Jazz 24's had maple boards.

:(

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    CIJ owns. Fender would do well to move the bulk of their manufacturing there, and just do the custom shop stuff here.

3. Too expensive Basshole. The average monthly salary in Japan is pretty much the same or more than that in the USA - so even the Japanese brands make most of their production in Korea, and China. Ibanez Presige models for example are made in Japan and are mostly the same sort of prices as USA made basses.

4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    MMM...so why is it that my Jaguar eats every MIA I've played, and set me back just $650?

Listen, I know it ain't cheap in the land of the $12 Big Mac, but the CIJ stuff is putting MIA stuff to shame, for 1/3 the digit right now.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Didnt fender prohibited their japanesse dealers to sell internationally? if so its a shame and fender suks a lot more now...

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I played a Jaguar and was far from impressed! it was nice that's about it. and as far as MIJ basses eating MIA basses that doesn't happen in my Fender bass camp of 11 basses! I a/b my MIJ/CIJ and MIA basses all the time and my MIA basses stay tuned better, necks need less adjustment and are alway's consistant in playability where as my MIJ/CIJ basses get adjusted far more often than their MIA conterparts.

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The Fender '62 Jazz fretless which I got from Japan (CIJ) is hands down the best Fender I ever owned. This bass is flawless and A+ quality and workmanship.........just as good if not better then some of the MIA I played.

But......the Fender Active P-Bass Special Deluxe I just got is just as good! Keep watching that stuff coming out of Mexico. Fender is really pushing to change the public's view of the instruments from the Mexico plant.

8. I think the problem is, over time the real cost of a MIA bass has dropped dramatically and now we're all looking for the Pre CBS product at 20% of what they cost back then (in real terms). Back in 64 a MIA Fender bass would have cost me in the UK 20 weeks wages as a clerk in an office. Do you know clerks that would pay 20 weeks wages now? A MIA bass now is absolutely brillient value comapred to the pre CBS models - but if you want to pay vintage prices then you need to consider what you could buy for let's say $5000?