1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why does Fender pick '62, '75, etc for Reissues?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groover, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Why does Fender pick certain years for reissues versus other years? For example, isn't a '75 Jazz the same as say a '76?

Just curious to see if there is a particular reason for the year choices that maybe I'm not aware of.

Thanks!

2. To replicate highly desirable models that were used by "big names."

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And, no doubt through the association of these "big names", the basses made in those years have come to represent the pinnacle of Jazz basses from that era.

4. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Because they sucked the rest of the time.:bag:

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

62 P bass = Jamerson
    75 Jazz = Verdine White

im not complaining, i love my MIA 75' RI.

6. jobo4

jobo4

Apr 19, 2006
    Austin, TX
    62 was the last year that they used the double stacked knob configuration for the jazz bass with volume/tone volume/tone (which confuses me when they do a reissue without that config.) In 63 they started the now familiar VVT config. As far as the 75 goes, 70's jazz basses had a 3 bolt neck, as opposed to a 4 bolt, and the placement of the bridge p'up was closer to the bridge.

P basses changed from around 58-59 by inserting the trussrod from the fingerboard side instead of through the skunk stripe on the back. The resulting neck was shallower from front to back and had no stripe. P basses from 57 back had a one piece maple neck with no attached fingerboard.:)

7. probably the years where fender felt a milestone had been reached.

8. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    i have a '75 :)

9. SMPTE

SMPTE

May 5, 2006
    Minnesota
    Because lots of excellent people were born in 1975. Not so much cars... but hey.

10. They don't ave 75 ri anymore... i wonder why...

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And on top of that, Jaco with his 62' and Miller with his 75'.

12. isn't millers a 77?

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    People born in 1975 aren't old enough to be excellent yet. :p

14. From Mr. Miller's website.

'I bought the bass in either late 1976 or early 1977. I would guess February '77. I'm not sure whether the bass was manufactured in '76 or '77.
    The serial number is S732742'

Lets just say, the late 70's :p
    [​IMG]

15. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I think it's becuase those are the years when new details were introduced. '59 P bass--first year they has rosewood slab boards. '75 J--first year they had the 3 bolt neck and bullet truss rod cover. '57 P--Headstock changes, split P pickup replaces single coil, gold guard introduced. Of course there is the association with well know players and alot of other factors involved.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    According to Dan Smith, President of Marketing for Fender when the Vintage Re Issue line was concieved,

Quted from The Fender Book, by Tony Bacon
    Quote.
    "because in the USA 1957 is the classic year for automobiles" and because 1962 wass the transition year for a change in fingerboard construction. "We knew that the vintage guys liked the slab board, so we felt that if we had neck problems we could always go to the curved fretboard and still call it a '62 without scrapping our price lists and catalogs" smith also notes that 1962 has no bad memories for most Americans.
    End quote.

I would imagine that the same hold true for the J bass tone set up as it was changed sometime in '62. They could use either tone control set up and still be accurate.
    The book pre dates the '75 RI, but I'm fairly sure that has to do with the 3 bolt neck.

Also keep in mind that thes 57 and '62 RI years were used for the Srat re issues as well. The quote from above was actualy in reference to Strats, not the bass RI, but everything still applies.

17. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    1975 was the last year that CBS/Fender used the "Big-Block" (TV) logos on their instruments. They then went to the "S" series serial #s on the face of the headstock, as opposed to the # being on the plate. They did get the '70's Jazz pup's spacings right tho.

I've said for a while now, the '75 RIs were inaccurate the way they portray them on the RI's. I own a 1975 Jazz and I can tell you there is quite a few more differences than listed here. (Black Blocks on maple wasn't an option for that year either.)

I can tell you the 3 bolt (micro-tilt) necks have been around longer than '75. (I've even seen 'em on Tele basses as far back as '71 myself.) Perhaps Fender needed something to represent the middle of the '70s for a RI and took some features from all their basses from that general era and called it the "'75".......

As far as the '62 AVS, they're very close to the originals in all of their points. 1957 was the transition year for the Precision bass. They went from slab bodies W/traditional "Tele" looking heaedstock and Single coil pups to split coils and the traditional Strat-style headstock. (You can sometimes find '57s with either headstocks and pup configurations and parts swapped on these basses this year.)

On the Fullerton AVS', they even went so far as to put the date of the neck in pencil under the neck's finish, just like the originals. I have been playing a '57 Fullerton (late '82/early '83) for over 10+ years, and I can tell you, these are some of the richest sounding instruments Fender has put their good name on since the originals. (And they're climbing in value as fast (percent-wise) as the originals) . Everyone I know who has gotten their hands on one of these original AVS series instruments have been happy campers.

That is, except for the '75 RIs. They play very well, but they don't sound/play like the real ones. Don't get me wrong; they're a good value for the features on a US made bass and will surely go up in value. But they just don't seem to have the MO-JO of the others......YMMV

18. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I think the numbers are merely some marketing genius' idea of cool dates. The "62 Jazz is really more like a '61 (The Fender Bass, by Black and Molinaro, says "the changeover [to 3-knob controls] was complete by 1962"), and the '75 has features from 1969-73 (the black block inlays and bound neck) and 1974-81 (three bolt neck). You could find a Jazz that was made back in the day with both those features, but not from 1975.

As someone else has pointed out, Fender has always had a difficult time with its own history, partly because the MBAs from CBS threw out all the "old junk" when they took over.

19. SMPTE

SMPTE

May 5, 2006
    Minnesota
    Bite my shiny metal ..... :)

20. I wish they would do a '66 RI Jazz (painted headstock, rosewood board, MOP blocks, binding)