1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why does Fender put so much finish on necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blendermassacre, Apr 25, 2010.

1. I was looking to buy a guitar the other day (gasp). I picked up a squire affinity strat because it has the same neck as my CV P: basic matte finish neck. I tried to find another guitar with that sort of neck to no avail. Why do they have to put 1/2" of poly on all the necks now. I realize that I can steel wool the back etc, but I just wonder why they make them like that, basses and guitars alike?

2. They're going for the vintage vibe it seems.

3. Didn't old music mans have wax finished necks? I just don't get why the nicest necks from the factory come on squires and road worns ( I forgot that they have reliced necks)

4. 'Cuz that's what they're supposed to be! :D

Z

5. My 08' American Standard has hardly any finish on the neck and it's a great neck.

6. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    + 1

I personally don't care for the "natural" finished necks. I prefer the gloss finishes. Although my Ibanez BTB's have the satin finish. I oiled them up and ran a polish cloth over them for hours at a time just to get some kind of sheen to them.

7. I have no preference
    all of my current basses have a gloss neck
    and I used to have a satin poly neck on my Mighty Mite necked bass which I found to be
    ridiculously smooth and fast so I can see how Blender would prefer it

8. rdwoody1

rdwoody1

Aug 23, 2009
    Jackson, TN
    +1

I only thought I had felt a nice neck until I got my '08 American Standard. When I picked it up and played it for the first time, I immediately fell in love. It has some finish, but not much, and it definitely is anything but sticky.

9. If memory serves, the american basses I've played have been pretty decent. I picked up 2 ~$1500 telecasters, and they were both the same: super glossy sticky necks. At least some of the classic vibe basses have the matte neck. I hope I can find a classic vibe telecaster guitar that has one too.

10. also, if you like the sticky, high gloss necks, is it a matter of " I don't care either way" or " I really like those necks"? It had me wondering what the condenses is.

11. I don't care either way

I grew playing a Korean Squier II Stratocaster
    which had an uber glossy neck and is pretty much what I was used to

My first quasi matte finish was on my US 1997 Fender Jazz

12. I perfer glossy necks,

I dont see where people get glossy necks as sticky , they seem the opposite to me a gloss neck i can slide really well on

13. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    I think it comes down to hand chemistry, ie; oil and perspiration on people's hands. I don't have a strong preference either way, and my '76 P and '77 Ric are both glossy but my G&L was matte as is my Lakland DJ. None of them bother me...but I have played certain basses that seem to react badly to my hands and they get sticky... A particular 4003 felt stickier as the night went on. To me it makes most sense that the matte finish would have the least resistance as there is less continuous surface on a microscopic level for the ridges on your fingerprints and palms to adhere to (think surface tension).

Jeesh. I need to go to bed. :rolleyes: :p

14. Hate glossy necks!

15. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I don't care whether the neck is glossy or flat. I never have any issues with "sticky" necks. I've never understood it. Loosen up the clamps, there, Jasper! Let your thumb slide. You don't need a gorilla grip on the neck to make the notes happen. ;)

16. Just cause you don't understand it don't mean it don't happen. Loosen up your mind, there, Jasper!

17. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    well, if you have big hands then you don't feel the neck, if you have small hands like me you hand feels the neck a lot more......glossy necks never used to bother me when I was young but somehow as I get older my hands stick....body chemistry changes I guess....

18. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    If you've got dry hands, then either is ok, but if you get sweaty, then I think matt is MUCH less sticky. It's not a matter of how hard you grip, it's just us sweaty b*gg&rs can have big problems with glossy necks, because, if you're like me, it's like playing a neck covered with fly-paper!

19. +1 from the sweaty guy!

20. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    no.
    the switch to oiled necks only happened in the mid-90s.

personally I don't care much whether the neck is glossy or satin finished, I never felt it affected my playing in any way but if you're set on satin finished necks get yourself a late 90s MIA Fender. I had a '97 MIA P with a neck that felt very much like the oiled necks on EBMMs.