Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why does it buzz when I touch the pickup pole???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lo-end, Sep 8, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I have some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound for P Bass pickups, and whenever I touch the metal poles, I hear a loud buzzing sound. This only happens when I touch the poles on the pickup that is further away from the bridge. I took my bass to a luthier to have this problem fixed and he said he could do it. I got my bass back from him and he said he fixed it and the problem was the output jack was bad so he charged me for a new one.

I get my bass home and I touch the pickup and "BUZZZZZZZZZZZ!!" The guy didnt fix anything. All he did was put in a new jack that I didnt even need. Well if it aint broke don't fix it I guess... :(

What I was wondering was if any of you guys know why my pickup might be buzzing from my thumb touching the pole? My dad installed the pickups and he did some weird stuff with how it was grounded. He put a ground wire underneath the bridge, and another one he screwed into the paint inside the control cavity and that doesnt seem to do anything at all. I am gonna get a new bass in a few months, but it would still be nice to have a properly working one until then.

The luthier guy said it was hot or something like that but he didnt fix it. Do you guys know whats wrong???

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    If you touch the pole it will buzz, which can happen when you play. Found that out myself after getting another P after many years without having one (and never experiencing that), and made the same inquiry.

I was told to coat the pole with clear nail polish or the equivalent, and it was good advice. Don't buzz when I inadvertantly touch them, and the poles won't tarnish or rust.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    is this problem just with Quarter Pounders, or is it with all P Bass pups? Because this didnt used to happen... :mad: