why does it seem like the hum is getting louder the longer I play?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Whippet, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    It seems like the hum gets louder, the longer I play. I turn off the amp a few min. and that annoying hum seems to get softer.

Am I getting paranoid or is static, electricity, magnetic force, Star Wars force, whatever penting up in the rig ?

Thanks for all information and reply in advance.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Who knows? But make sure you don't give us any information about what you're using whatsoever :D

MattZilla and Whippet like this.
  3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    The only thing I can think of that could possibly cause that would be heat sensitive filter caps in the power supply of the amp. Turning it off would allow them to cool down a bit. If that's the case, a change of caps would be in order.

Whippet likes this.
  4. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    True, not enough information. LOL

My rig is a Bassics BPA01 preamp to TC Elec Iron Curtain to Markbass Multiamp, Barefaced Big Baby2.
    The input and output of the BPA01 is adjusted so that the red meter (+6) doesnt kick in and distorts the sound.
    The preamp on the Markbass is almost always setup on the middle, not that it matters because no matter where it is positioned, the rig starts to hum anyway.

The basses that give me trouble are practically anything ranging from a Fender Dimension American Deluxe V (humbuckers), to a whole bunch of different jazz basses ( single coils) and a PJ.

One of the basses that doesnt do that is a NS Design EU6 upright.

I understand that unless you have some sort of hum canceling device on a single coil bass, you're going to get a hum, which is why I installed the Iron Curtain, which does do somewhat of an annoying half arsed job.

I used an Electro Harmonix Silencer in the effects loop. It works better than the Iron Curtain but not that much better to justify the bunch of more chords that hang out of the back.

I tried repositioning my body at all different angles and at times it does work but as I keep playing, it usually has less and less effect.

I have also decluttered the power cables, so no more than the bone necessary cables of all sorts on the ground.

Is there anything I am missing? Is the loud hum problem a Fender Dimension problem?

Do I just have to live with this irritating hum ?

5. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    If all fails with the connectors I will bring it to service. Meanwhile, I'll connect a Puma 900 later today and see how that works on the Fender Dimension V and a bunch of others.

Thanks for the information.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I would think the Dimension, having humbuckers, wouldn't be doing it, either. The J's and PJ, naturally, could be suspect, unless the J's always have both pickups on at the same volume position, which makes them act as humbuckers. Dimmers and flourescent lights can always be considered potential culprits. Also, sitting too close to your amp can sometimes cause your basses to pick up hum. If it were me, I'd eliminate everything but a bass, the Multiamp and cab, and see if it does it, then try to narrow it down to one thing in your chain.

MattZilla and Whippet like this.
  7. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks for the information. I'll do what you proposed and replace the Multiamp with a Puma after I get rid of everything but the cab and amp.

I started replacing lightbulbs with LED lamps and I doubt this is the reason but the problems all seem to trace back to this point.

Anyway thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021