Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does my amp lose volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yor123, Jun 17, 2001.

1. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    I practice at home with a TKO-80. It was built in '79. I bought it used in 84', then stored it. I took it out of storage now 17 years later. The driver was dry rotted. I called Peavey for a replacement part and they recommended a 15" Scorpion. The cabinet is in mint condition. I cleaned up the electronics board and opened up all of the pots to remove any dust. The controls are primitive: pre-gain, bass, mid, treble, post gain. I use a Tech-21 Sans amp bass driver. It does not sound too bad for practice. Here is the problem. Suddenly I am losing volume while playing. It usually happens after thumping or slapping aggressively. The volume does not cut out completely, just partially. It is as if I had just cut it from 5 to 3 for example. It jumps back up to the original volume when doing the same thing (thumping or slapping). It has only just started. I will change the battery in the Sans amp. I don't know what problems a weak battery in that thing will do. Maybe that will fix it. I plan to use the amp in small settings, (it's 60watts) or with PA or as a monitor, so I want to fix the problem. Any ideas if the battery change does not cure it.?