Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does my Ampeg V4B distort any cab but an 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wolfehollow, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I just tried a bergantino 212 that started crunching... through my 8x10 ampeg it sounds great. The bergantino is rated 700 watts, but the ampeg sends out 100 tube watts. Is it too little power to run those speakers? does to little power distort speakers? did Ampeg underestimate 100 tube watts in the 70's? was this amp made for the 8x10 cabs, therefore that is what works?

I am confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Wolfe

2. This is what I think is happening. The 8x10 cab is designed to sound good with a tube amp that is running in partial distortion. It is designed to ignor the ugly part of a distorted signal and to emphasize the musical part of it. The 8x10 cab is also more efficient than the Bergi and therefore will play louder before it gets real ugly. On the other hand, the Bergi is what I call a hi-fi type of bass cab. It is designed to sound kinda like a studio monitor. You could run a full range signal from you stereo into the Bergi and it would probably sound great. Believe me, you couldn't do the same with the 8x10. Any hooo, the Bergi is reproducing the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY. And it probably takes more power to do it.

3. Yep. 8 10s is a hell of a lot more speaker than 2 12s! It will definitely make better use of your 100W than the Berg. I'd suspect that the Berg has a horn in it. Am I right? Horns sound terrible with distortion. Cabs with horns will sound much more distorted than cabs without horns at the same level of distortion.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Not quite..........It's true the 8x10 will ignore the fundamentals of the lowest notes, but it doesn't have any way to ignore distortion. The Bergantino is MUCH more efficient than any sealed cabinet. The problem is that a tube amp, when run into clipping, loses it's ability to "damp"(control) the speaker. A ported enclosure requires an amp with fairly high damping to keep it in check. Try plugging in a high power solid state amp to both enclosures, with the amp set the same, and see what you find.
    Bergantino has designed the new NV-610 for all of us that want to use these old tube amps and get the great vintage tone!
    GEEK

5. The Berg 212 has a 102dB sensitivity at 2.83V/1m, so it's not really much more sensitive than the 810 and I suspect it probably doesn't have that midgrange hump that the 810 does. Again, any distortion would be more apparent in the Berg due to the horn driver.

GIBSONGEEK: What's the scoop on the NV610, there's not much information on the website. Do you have any inside information on it? I'd really like to try some of his cabs but that one's really got my interest.

6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Mark,
    I know just about everything about that cabinet, as it was MY concept! I had Jim build the original one for me as a custom order, and it's so great he's now added it to the line. If you have any questions about it, PLEASE email me at gibsongeek@aol.com anytime.
    GEEK

7. 66pbass

66pbass

Dec 25, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was told that the '70s V4B 100 watt rating was "conservative". Mine was plenty loud.

Be sure that the impedance switch on the back of the amp is set to match the cab.

I have run into dirt on the ground ring part of the 1/4 inch phone jacks causing distortion problems on some of my older equipment, guitars and amps alike.

Use an old pencil style typewriter eraser to clean it out.

Steve