Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does my Ashdown suck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It can't handle low end AT ALL. It bottoms out on a low, just because I hit it hard. The Fender Frontman didn't used to do this. What's wrong with my amp? :meh:

2. You posted, in a different thread, only a matter of a couple of days ago that your amp handled lows "really well".

You are now saying it doesn't handle lows "at all".

What has happened to it in the last 24hours? :eek: :eek:

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Maybe the new gear euphoria has worn off a little bit. ;)

4. Oh yeah, just looked at your profile. I used to have a MAG 250 and though I couldn't fault it for the price, I only ever used it with a 4 string. Maybe you're expecting too much from a budget amp if you're putting that 5 string through it.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Make up your mind!! :meh:

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I coulda told you that

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nICK ,
    your other thread says your basses suck ...

couldn't this just be poor tecnique on your part ?
    why are you slamming on the B string ?

a lighter touch will do wonders for your basses and sound of the amp .

be cool , this is just a suggestion ...

8. I aint slamming a B string, I'm slamming an E string. My amp does handle lows well, but not at band practice volume. It can handle drop A, but if i turn up, it just bottoms out, but he needle barely moves.

9. DaveDeVille

sorry , i thought you were using a five string ... my bad .

still , lighten up .
    the amp obviously wasn't meant to be cranked to " band practice " volume , whatever that means ...

as i said in your other thread ,
    TURN DOWN THE GUITARS , dammit !!

10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I was thinking about the new Mag600 for a good backup head. Now I find out that they suck before I even get to try one out. I guess I'll go with the new Ampeg B2RE instead. I hope they don't suck. Buying new gear has turned into a real nightmare lately. :crying: :( :crying:

11. They wont listen to me, I am meant to be a mere rumbling in the background, and I'm not meant to play with a pick in some songs, cuz only guitarist should use picks(according to them). :(

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Uh-huh.

Either quit your band or get some balls. You've complained about the limits your guitarists put on you too much-do something about it.

13. OK, fine. then if you won't listen to valid, worthy advice regarding your amp or settings, GET A NEW BAND THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOU FEEL THAT WAY. If you rip half as hard as you say you do (unfortunately no sound card for your tunes), then a new project that allows you to "change the face of bass" shouldn't be an issue finding. If you are the ripper you say you are, how come other gigs aren't knocking on your door? how come these clowns that push you in the back are the only ones to play with? YOU have to make the difference, you can't expect them to do so...

EDIT: DAMN! Bryan beat me by 2 minutes.. good show!

14. DaveDeVille

nICK ,
    forget these lame-o guitar players ...

don't let ANYONE tell you using a pick is a bad idea for bass .
    some of the most talented players in the world use picks ...
    go ahead , alternate between pick style , finger style , slap , and tap { depending on the song , of course ... }

screw the guitarist who says bass is just a background instrument !

just my opinion , i could be wrong , sorry for the rant ...

15. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    +1 to whomever suggested an extension cab. That alone should make a huge difference, (depending on the cab).

Also, about cutting through, find out what frequencies your guitar players are boosting and avoid them. You should look at a bass players tonal goal in a band mix as a game of peek-a-boo. Pop up in between and beneath the frequencies that they use, and tell them to stay the hell out of your range too. I have heard bands with multiple guitarists explain this as having too many people fishing in the same stretch of river. Spread out and everyone is better off for it.

One more thing, playing music is supposed to be fun and rewarding. As I see you constantly agonizing over gear and your inconsiderate band mates, I wonder how much fun you're having.......

16. You guys were right, I kept the bass flat, and turned the low mids up, and the high mids. I adjust the mids as needed, depending if i want all out burp, or a more mellow growl. My bass was just way too loud. Thanks for the help.

17. Next time he insults my bass or bassists as a whole, i'll sabotage his guitar amp when he's not looking :smug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.