Why does my bass amp make a heart-beat sound and then stops working properly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eorlinga, Nov 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Eorlinga

Eorlinga

Nov 29, 2015
    I have an Ibanez GSR200 (active) and a Fender Rumble 100 V3 bass amp. At first it plays good, no problem, but then a static starts and it gets louder and louder and the heart-beat sound starts. First it's a slow tempo but then it speeds up until it can't go any faster and kinda sound continual and really fast paced. After a while it start's slowing down and eventually stops, but the sound of the bass is really bad after it. It's a lot more quiet and an awful quality. The problem goes away if I unplug the bass and plug back in but everything starts all over again after a minute or two. I suspect it's the cord because I bought a relatively cheap one. Any ideas?

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Have you replaced the battery(s) in the bass before anything else. I doubt the cable would do this.

3. Which cord? Power, Instrument, Speaker? Is the Rumble a combo?
    Does adjusting the volume or other controls affect this?
    Sounds like, what we call in the electronics world, "motor-boating."
    Motorboating (electronics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The wiki explains it really well, much better than can I.
    Bottom line... I would not expect a cable to cause this.
    But it is an easy thing to try a different cable before you send it off for repair.
    It is never a bad idea to try easy, quick things even if they seem unlikely.

kaba7a likes this.
  4. Good call. I totally glossed over that this was an active bass.

5. Eorlinga

Eorlinga

Nov 29, 2015
    No, I've been playing this bass for about 3 years and only recently bought an amp, so no :) but I'll give that a try and let you know how it went

6. Oh! Same batteries for three years? Fairly New amp? I'm liking B-String's battery replacement idea even more now.

SirMjac28 and B-string like this.
  7. B-string

You got THREE years out of batteries? WOW.

The batteries will drain any time a cord is plugged in by the way, so unplug the cable when you are not playing. Expect 3 mo to a year with normal use.

8. Eorlinga

Eorlinga

Nov 29, 2015
    Here it goes: The cord is Proel and on it it says: noiseless guitar cable low capacity flexible jacket O. F. C. C. E. made in Italy
    I'll post a picture of the characteristics from the web-site of the store where I bought it.
    Adjusting the volume doesn't affect it much, I mean, you can make it a little bit louder and that's it, it still sounds like crap.

Attached Files:

9. Eorlinga

Eorlinga

Nov 29, 2015
    Hahahahaha, you misunderstood me, I didn't even us those batteries for those three years

10. So the batts are new? Previously unused? Sitting around at room temp for 3 years? Not stored in a 'fridge?
    Are they alkalines, or some type like re-chargeable? Are they a quality brand or something questionable.
    Some batts have good shelf life, some don't.
    You may want to go to the store, buy some new, alkaline, Duracell, Eveready, or Ray-O-Vac.

11. B-string

Yeah, I kind of guessed that :D. Newer (higher priced) batteries can have a long "shelf life" but all batteries drain even when sitting unused. If the bass came loaded with a less expensive variety of battery they have been getting weaker as they sit over three years. Remember now you have an amp, don't leave the cord plugged into the bass when not in use.

Big Hoss and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  12. Dead batteries, left in equipment can leak and ruin your stuff.
    Good idea to check them occasionally.

spaz21387 and B-string like this.
  13. B-string

Pretty much a guarantee with Mallory batts.

14. I think Duracell is Mallory.
    I haven't seen a Mallory brand battery on store shelves for decades.
    Though it might be a regional thing Maybe? Or the Mallory brand is used for specialized batts.
    But I do recall Mallory being a good brand.

15. B-string

Yes Duracell is Mallory's consumer brand name. Ray-O-Vac used to be the worst for leakage, but almost every damaged unit I have found has Duracells in it. Even the cheap Eveready industrials that sat two years dead in an OBD-II scanner of mine came out still sealed while still powering a Maglite, Duracells swelled and leaked. Just my personal experience over the last few years (decades).

SirMjac28 and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 on those Ray-O-Vacs those things killed many of my portable a.m radios back in the day.

S-Bigbottom, Flooflox and B-string like this.
  17. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Duracells nearly killed an expensive Fluke meter and have leaked into 3 or 4 flashlights.
    They are banned at my house.
    Agreed that Ray-o-vacs from back in the day were terrible but I am trying them again as the claim to be made in the USA.
    I was using the Bunny but it looks like they are no longer US made anymore and are n to that easy to find around here.
    Too bad Radio Shack and Sears quit carrying branded batteries as they worked well for me.

B-string likes this.
  18. I've used ROVs almost exclusively for years. Mostly AA alkalines, without any trouble.
    Of course any dead battery, left in equipment is prone to leakage.
    I think they are much better than they were back in the day when the 9 volt, transistor A.M. radio was all the rage.
    Those old-tech, Carbon/Zinc batts of any brand, were pretty bad.

SirMjac28 and B-string like this.
  19. Were you a card-carrying member of the Radio Shack Battery Club?

20. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my son and ex-husband were :D

S-Bigbottom and SirMjac28 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021