Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why does my bass sound weird?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ApocBizkit2, Dec 2, 2000.

1. ApocBizkit2

ApocBizkit2

Nov 26, 2000
    I dunno what this is called, but when i hit a and hold the cord down it sometimes makes this werid clickin sorta sound, likes its hitting the bass or something.. i read its called Action or whatever.. i dunno i just need to know how to get rid of this annoying sound

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    :confused: wut?

3. ApocBizkit2

ApocBizkit2

Nov 26, 2000
    grrr....

4. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I think I know what you mean. check to see if the neck is bowed, more likely, you need to adjust the saddles on the bridge to suit your playing style.I am assuming that your bass has an adjustable truss rod in the neck, that will make a huge difference in how it sounds, if you think that is the problem, I recommend that you take it to a reputable repair shop to have it adjusted. DON"T try to make this adjustment if you don't have some experience in bass/guitar repair and maintenance, like I said it makes a huge difference in sound and if you do it wrong, you could destroy your instrument. Also check to see if the pickups are too high, the strings could be contacting the p'ups.
    Hope this helps.

5. ApocBizkit2

ApocBizkit2

Nov 26, 2000
    ok thanks ill check it out...

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's almost impossible to "diagnose" things like this without seeing the bass and having it in front of you. But, it sounds as if it could be the pickups are too high and the strings are therefore being attracted to the magnets in the pickup - which will cause a very loud click when you are playing through an amp.

Most pickups willl have little screws on them at the corners or sides - trying screwing or unscrewing them a bit and see if you can get the pickups further away from the strings. This is actually one of the few adjustments that doesn't need any experience - you can't break or hurt anything by doing this. Just try to remember where they were set originally and if it doesn't help, go back to where you started and try screwing the other way.