1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why does my Brice have a ridiculous amount of sympathetic vibration?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Nov 25, 2004.

1. I mean, I play any other five string and it's almost non existant, or I can easily mute it out. Strike one string on this bass and it's like there is a chorus of open strings singing backup through my amp. Even with my hand lightly rested over it. No idea what's going on here. I've been the 'keeper' of a Rebop 5 for awhile and it didn't even come close to having the same problem.

edit: I should also add that i have DR lo-riders on it and the stock pickups, which aren't too close to the strings. at least 1/4th inch away without measuring.

2. This might be one of those rare cases where a bridge swap will actually SOLVE a problem. Sounds like the bridge may be letting too much "crosstalk" take place between strings - not enough isolation. Either a high mass bridge or one of the individual rail bridges might be a help.

3. They are very inexpensive basses, so they can't be perfect.

But like Hammy said, individual string saddles would probably fix any problem.