why does my bridge buzz?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by dayofthephoenix, Jun 1, 2002.

1. ok, i have a 99 Fender Jazz Bass, and the bridge buzzes all the time and its annoying as hell when i go to slap. i'm thinking about upgrading it to a Badass Bridge, but is it really worth it?i mean, its not a very expensive bass and the volume pots are beginning to make crackling sounds, but as of right now i have no money to buy a new bass. So can anyone tell me, is it worth it?
  2. I upgraded to a badass bass bridge on my first bass, which wasnt a very high end bass either. Although it made a difference it didnt seem to drasticly change the tone, so I probably wouldnt reccomend it if your bass isnt a phat beast. Also, im not sure if its for the same reason but I got string buzz at the bridge and I noticed that it was because of the horizontal springs touching the strings. The badass bridge had the same fault, but the buzz wasnt amplified so it didnt cause annoyance. Dodgy tone and volume pots can be fixed pretty easily, and you'll usually find that although electrics go quickly on lower end basses they will play fine for years and years for the cost of a few potentiometers and a bit of soldering.

Hope that helps!
  3. It's typical for Fender!
    Play a note and hold different parts of your bridge until you find the vibrating part. If it's a srew, use nail-lacquer (can be easily removed by putting the part in alcohol). When it's a "spring" (hope it's the right vocab), try to remove it or replace it or use tension to "make it longer".
    That worked on all my basses.