Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why does my cab have 2 speakon inputs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Dec 10, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    On the back of my Warwick cab, there's 2 seperate speakon inputs. I can't imagine what they're for. The only thing i can think of is wiring the system in series as opposed to parallel, but there are no markings indicating which is input and which is output. I am confused. I don't want to plug my amp into the wrong one! :eek:

2. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    It is so that you can daisy chain the cabs. You can hook an amp output into one speakon, then hook up another cab through the second one.

If you do this, make sure your amp can handle it too :)

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    but, it doesnt matter which speakon jack you use? So you can use either jack as an input or output?

btw.. i prolly wont daisy chain cabs, but i was just curious.

4. Either jack will work.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Daisy chaining the cabs is parallel as both hot and ground wires run in the cable. So 2 8ohm cabs daisy chained is a 4 ohm load, not 16.

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The two speakon jacks are most likely wired in parallel. So you can chain your cabs together in parallel.

7. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    So, this would have the same effect as plugging the 2nd cab straight into the amp. Alright, thanks for the help!

edit: the reason i was asking is one of the jacks is missing a screw and is a bit loose, so i was wondering if it was ok to use the other jack. Thanks!