Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why does my cabinet distort?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smallfry, Aug 30, 2004.

1. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    hi,

i don't know that much about electronics, so i thought i would turn you all.

I was wondering why my mosfet 300 watt amp head causes my 4 Ohm 400 watt cabinet to distort at volumes of about 5 or 6. the old solidstate 400watt head i had never caused that to happen at the same volume.

new amp is mesa boogie walkabout
    cabinet is a peavey markVIII 1x15/2x8
    old amp was the markVIII 400 watt

just wondering.

thx.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I think the cause of distortion is almost always either clipping or a blown speaker. Have you pushed your cabinet too much at some point? And do you have your EQs way up or anything? That along with 5 or 6 volume might push the amp into clipping.

Mesa/Boogie site says the amp has tubes. I don't know anything about tubes or whether they could do this, but maybe the tubes are dead... or out of whack or something... I dont know.

How do you have your master and gain set? Too much gain might do it. Let's see what the... smarter-than-me people say.

3. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    well, i usually have the gain and master right around the same... 5 and 5. if they are not equal the volume does not seem to be loud enough.

the cab had a loose solder joint once, but that has been repaired. the tube is about 1 year old.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    hmmm... I'm really not sure man. How about the EQs? They're not like... all on 10 or anything, are they? And does that amp have any tube drive or overdrive type function? Too much of that could do it. Well... that's all I've got. I'm out of ideas.