why does my cheap bass sound better than my.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Feb 18, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    more expensive bass?
    i have a hamer slamer bass that i bought for $15. and i made it fretless.
    i like the way this bass sounds better than my new MIA jazz that i bought 5 months ago!
    what the.....?
    i am gald and unhappy at the same time. i have spent so much time and money to find just the right sound. then i buy this and i love it! i am getting compliments from everyone that hears it on the great tone.
    and on top of this. it only has an output jack. no vol. or tone knobs.
    and there is toothpicks in the fretslots!! i mean total cheap bass!!
    i am going to just stop.....

2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well, as long as its YOUR sound. maybe it's the fretlessness? if the sound of a fretless J is not as good as the hamer to you, then so be it, maybe its a good thing, that you dont need an expensive bass to get good tone. if the hamer is YOUR sound, sell the fender and call it a day. or don't, whatever. I would think it would be cool to have a cheap main bass, as it wouldnt matter if it got beat up.
  3. I've seen the same thing happen with PA systems. A band will sell off their inexpensive Peavey system and replace it with something much more expensive and in the process they completely destroy their sound. So just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's not good! Quality is where you find it. It's a lesson that these guys who think that 'only the most expensive is good enough' really need to learn, but seldom do. I agree, sell your f****r and play what sounds the best. :cool:
  4. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It is not always the $$Bass that is the one.......
    I have done major label albums with junky basses that you would normaly think are best used for firewood. Sometimes the "high-end" basses I own just don't seem to have the sound I want. You should play whatever sounds/feels the best to you.
  5. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Steve, perhaps you like the Hamer more because of the toothpicks. Do you have a "thing" about practicing good dental hygiene? Do you "load" your fretboard before a gig and then clean your teeth and gums during breaks? Perhaps you have a future as a dentist. :D

6. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Its of my opinion that any tone is tone, and tone is good. Sometimes the most expensive bass wont have that great feel a cheap one does, vice versa. Really I think you can say we pay more for a different, or sometimes more popular tone, not better. Remember words like good and better are purely relative.
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Just go with it. Keep the MIA and be happy that you have two basses that work for you. Be one with your sound :cool: :D

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the best jazz bass i've ever owned (besides my RBV) was a fender mexi and i owned a couple MIA's... i think that my sx p (with a little modding) is much better than most newer MIA fenders i have played in recent times... :spit: ;)

i got rid of my two most recent warwicks because i liked the way my $300 yamaha fretless p sounded A LOT better (to my ears at least)... ymmv of course, but don't worry that it didn't cost alot, be glad! :bassist:
  9. Slammers are pretty much P basses, aren't they? Maybe you're just a P player and not a J player.
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    no it is a jazz.
    and i love jazz basses. i own three.

but right now i am looking for a ric copy bass. or a cheap ric. broken beat up. what ever.

11. You seemed to want to off that Jazz pretty badly. Maybe you developed a subconscious hatred towards it.
  12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    its not that i want off it. it is just that i want a different sound. i would love to still keep it. but i know that i could always buy another one.

13. this whole thing is [sic].
  14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, tone is tone.

My buddy has an old Sears guitar, kind of like a Danelectro, and it has the wicked surf tone. Better than any nice Fender surf flavored guitar.
  15. Agreed. No need to question it; just rock on. :D
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Find the "Guitar Player" magazine with the Bill Wyman interview in it. He talks about his first Bass.
  17. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Tottally cool. There is this strange romanticism I have with cheap basses, lol.:D
  18. The only think I don't like about my cheap bass is the neck. And it is serviceable until I get a Kingston 5.
  19. Well, it seems like you weren't happy with it. So it makes sense that you would like something else better. Just shows that you were right.
  20. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    My OLP stingray is fantastic for the price, sure it doesnt have everything a mm has but for $1000 less you cant beat it, only real complaint is the neck doesnt allow super low action, but low enough, and passive electronics, but really its great for only 200 new.:D