1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why does my jazz sustain so much more than my p?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ss81, Apr 11, 2006.

1. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    It's amazing what a difference in sustain there is between my jazz and precision. I've fitted both with after-market bridges, a gotoh on my jazz and a badass II on my precision. I had the precision for about a year before I bought the jazz, and I guess I never really paid attention to the sustain until the jazz came along. I installed the badass almost immediately after purchasing the P, so I can't imagine how poor the sustain must have been with the original bridge. The pickup isn't very closed to the strings but I tried lowering it anyway just in case. At this point, I'm guessin that it's just an inherent quality of the body and/or neck woods, but I'm still wondering if there are any other tips for improving sustain?

2. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Wouldn't moving the pickup closer to the strings increase the sustain?

Do they both have the same type of strings on them?

3. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    I've heard that the magnets on the pickup can interfere with the string's vibration and kill the sustain prematurely (and also manipulate the pitch). They both have regular ernie ball slinkies on them. I'm hoping that the answer is not that it's time for new strings on the P, because they've only been on for 4 or 5 months now, and it seems like just yesterday that annoying new string metallic sound finally went away. But come to think of it, the jazz strings are a couple of months newer, so you may have clued me in on my answer to why there's such a difference.

4. If you're playing regularly and using roundwounds on that P, you're definitely due for a new set.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    4 or 5 months is pretty good life for strings if you play regularly.

6. String hijacking: I regularly kill sets of rounds in <6 weeks.