Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does my SWR IOD peak the board?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justBrian, Apr 16, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm using the effected line out and can barely crack the volume without peaking hte board (at least when I'm using my G&L). Even my passive MIM JazzV allows only about 1/4 volume before it peaks. What's going on?

The other night, I hooked my qsc mx700 and the IOD to one of our yamaha 18" subs-- no problem, no peaking, no distortion. What gives? I could push the IOD to almost full volume and it sounded great (using the Jazz).

At the last gig, I ran the G&L into the active input and the jazz into the passive side and was able to push the volume up significantly. Is there any good inexpensive solution? Thanx kids! :D

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    When I say the volume was up significantly, I mean just past 1/4. So it's not really much more. Any ideas? My guitarist recommended a volume pedal, but I don't know.:confused:

3. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    Why are you using the effects sends and not the direct out or line out?
    (By "the board" you mean the recording desk, right?)

Jan

4. Are you speaking of your mixing board's input peaking?

Does the board have an input gain pot?

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It may that your board is designed for consumer line level (0db?) whilst the SWR is putting out pro line level (+4dB).

Alex

6. The IOD puts out a maximum of 0.7 volts, or slightly less than 0 dBu.

Are you running the IOD into a MIC level input? If so, this will radically overload the board.

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I am using the direct-out. I just meant it was the signal affected by the eq etc. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

8. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    That could be it! I only plug into the snake-- after that I don't know where it goes. Where should it be plugged in?

9. When you go into the snake you are probably going into a mic level input on the board. However all the sound man has to do is turn down the input gain to eliminate the clipping. If you guys are using snakes and stuff then surely your board has an input level gain control. But then again maybe not.