Why does my......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Mid 90's Stingray5 sound wayyyy different than a 2000ish Sterling in the same positions, eq, amp, cab blah blah blah. More specifically why does the E string sound so overdrived or farty compared tot he rest and my 5? The 5 has a rose wood board and sterling has maple. new batteries on both. Oh yea and i tried different pick up heights also.
  2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Are you asking why your Stingray with 5 strings sounds different than your Sterling with 4 string?
  3. yes, stingray5 being my older bass and sterling that is a prospect to my collection....and im taking into account the wood/mass difference..i think its the foundation of the sound of my E string..just has no nuts it farts.
  4. Well, EBMM has completely different electronics packages for their Sterlings, Sting Rays, and Bongos IIRC. I think the SR is meant to be a more of a vintage tone, wheras the Sterling is supposed to be more aggresive and modern... I guess the Bongo is meant for sure versatility, I mean, come on... 4 band eq = teh bomb-diggity!!! :D

EDIT: The maple board on your Sterling will bring out more highs than the rosewood on your 'Ray.

5. What are the differences?? I was led to believe that the stingray5 and sterling had the same electronics and its was only the stingray4 that was hardwired series. As stated though its mainly the ummpphhh of the E string here that i am concerned about. Either way I dont think Im gonna get it. The question now is geddy lee or marcus miller jazz?!!?
  6. Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    5 strings always have a little less punch, just imagine what a low B string would to your cab if it had the same punch as your 4
  7. The SR5 and the Sterling have the same electronics, the only difference with the electronic hardware is the extra couple of polepieces for the 5th string. You're probably right about woods. Density, age and type all come into it. Also, if you can hear it, the maple would apparently sound brighter. So that might be it.
  8. i'm still not clear which bass has a problem with the E. maybe a little better punctuation and more clear description of the problem. try to be a little more specific about the comparisons.

9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Different pickups have different tonal characteristics. A five string pickup will not sound like a four or vice versa due to the physical and electrical limits due to the size and shape of the magnets and winding. Even with the same preamp, body, and strings, a four string and five string will sound different than its five string "equivalent"
  10. Well everyone else got the gist of it. My Sterling has the problem with the E as stated. Guess the 5 stringer has a more solid E because of the bigger pickup. That has to be it.
  11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IIRC , the Ray and Sterling do not use the same pup. They only look similar on the outside.
  12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    May I just ask... Why would you want them to sound the same? What would be the point of buying the sterling if they were the same?
  13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Sterling is lighter, smaller and has a narrower neck.
  14. +1.
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    What's the serial number of the SR5? Early SR5s (before 1992) had plain dual coil alnico pickups, compared with later SR5s and all sterlings which have ceramic pickups with the phantom coil. The preamp was redesigned at the same time.

Check out the information on Gav Townsing's site (Rod Trussbroken on the EB forums and (I think) nivagues on talkbass)

16. zoran

May 10, 2002

They can't sound the same even if you want it to;)
  17. Well Im trying to explain that im taking into account the wood and mass differences...but when I hit just an open E the SR5 sounds alot more full, deep and solid where the Sterling sounds a little flabby.....thats the main thing...it must just be the bigger pickup. Unless a maple neck along kills the solid bass of an E string. But i thought that would mainly affect attack.
  18. I do not really want them to sound the same I just want the same kickass tight bass. Hence going with a maple board would be brighter but shouldnt really affect the bass on an open E. Maybe Im just freaking out....man. And if they do not use the same pup then what do they use??? Because from what I researched they are the same minus an extra pole piece for the SR5 and both have selector switchs. So lets focus on the main problem..the tightness of the bass. I feel like Im getting newbie comments back from some of you IE: cant sound the same if you tried and the sterling is lighter and smaller...I know these things and have addressed that at the beggining.. I tried it out with other people and they felt the sound wasnt as strong on the sterling as the SR5. Maybe theres no real reason for what im hearing excpet that honeslt ALL basses are gonna sound a little different. I just figured if anything the open E should be very comparable. But thanks for the info on the older stingrays mine is like a 95 so it doesnt apply but thanks for that info anyway. Sorry in advance but I fell like Im explaining this as best I can...guess its time to deny the trade and hunt down a spector euro4. Shame is I really want to like the Sterling for its neck..I love it.