Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does no one ever talk about Vic - What Did He Say?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Why do so few people ever mention this album? I've only got three songs from it (Norwegian Wood, My Like, and Cherokee) and I've gotta say...I'm loving what I'm hearing. What I really don't get is why people never talk about this album -- denouncers of Vic always cite A Show of Hands as a bunch of wanking, and Yin Yang gets talked about plenty, but rarely to I ever see anyone here reference What Did He Say. It's like...Vic playing with other musicians, in a band where he's the leader (I know this wasn't a 'band' album, just him and various guests) and doing his thing, but without the overly processed mood-music vibe of Yin Yang or the "soulless wankery" (other people's words, NOT mine) of A Show of Hands. What gives?

PS: Is that an upright or a fretless on My Life? I really want to say upright on this one, but I'm not 10000% positive.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's a good album with some good tracks. A nice balance between funk and soul. A little bit adult contemporary at times, but it's still not totally dental.

There are some really neat bass tricks, and some cool "hey that's cool" tracks.

A pretty solid album all in all. Live in America is my favorite vic album though.

People don't talk about it as much, probably because it doesn't really have a gimmick or a selling point. It's just a solid album with some good music(and some really good music) Like, Show of hands gets a lot of buzz because it's like "daym, how'd he do that?! whoa", yin yang gets a lot of buzz because vic himself hyped it so much(dedicated a whole webpage to it, constantly hyped it at shows and the likes)

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Vic's What did He say killed my parents... I'll thank you kindly to not talk about it...

eh... I'll leave now.

4. "What did he say" makes baby Jesus cry.

I suppose in that way it's much like dirty dishes...

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What Did He Say? is my favorite Wooten album and I've said it here before. Wooten has been a huge influence on me through the Flecktones but I've never been a huge fan of some of his solo composing. I think of his 3 studio albums What Did He Say? has consistently the best compositions. The Loneliest Monk, Brother John, the title track etc... It's a solid album and we have talked about it here before.

brad cook