1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why does nobody here ever talk about alembics?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nrauch2, Jul 26, 2012.

1. nrauch2

nrauch2

Sep 9, 2011
    Many of the other bassists i know have had, have, or like alembics, yet for some reason I don't know if I've even seen one mentioned here and definitely not for sale so... why not?

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  3. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    There's at least one for sale here right now! Saw it earlier. They get discussed enough, but there's an official Alembic forum so they probably get discussed there more. The same people might come here for general bass talk, but they might save their Alembic-minded posts for a similarly-minded audience at the other forum

4. Very, very few bassists have ever owned or played an Alembic. So, it's hard to discuss something your not familiar with. Yet, Talk Bass has many members worldwide, I'm sure some will show up in time.
    Rocky

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Uhhhh... Alembic does come up, we are bass nerds.

You need to remember times change as well, back in the day Stanley had his Alembic and a legion of fans, now Victor has his Fodera and a legion of fans, somebody else will eventually see their day in the sun.

Fender will probably always be top in the mainstream though, and for good reason. The P is king.

6. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Speaking of which, somebody was trying to sell an "Alembic Elan" today on the local craigslist for $200. Needless to say, I texted promptly and asked for a picture. Couldn't make out any emblem on the headstock, but from it's shape I didn't really need to--it was clearly an SX P-bass.

I thought about replying, but figured there would be little to gain...so it might be a little pricey for an SX, but that could simply be the "stupid tax".

7. Because we here on TB are not worthy to be talking about such a grand instrument as Alembic. We'll stick to our Squiers and MIM P's and Jazzes.

8. +1

I recall, quite vividly, that Alembics were HUGE in the 80s and early 90s. Seemed like the bass to have "back then".

Unfortunately, like other "top of the line" basses, the price tag keeps a lot of folks from owning them (me included). However, I did get the chance to play them fairly often "back then". Great basses!

9. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Never played/owned one, may have seen 1 possibly in real life but don't really remember so probably not. So my input is pretty limited.

10. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    +1:
    Distillate since 1981, √Član since 1989, Series Custom since 2011.

Lot of guys with Alembics puruse the Alembic Club from the Wikershams host website.

11. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    What do you think is most coveted now? Sandberg maybe?

12. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

....but you may have played some bass at some time....

13. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Internet forums tend, as a rule to be full of neophiles - people who crave that which is new. Alembic was probably one of the first (if not THE FIRST) boutique basses. So people have known their sound and look for quite a while. Doesn't mean that people don't like them or don't play, they just don't get discussed quite as much.

14. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Alembic does have its own forum that is fairly active. Sometimes Jimmy Johnson stops in to answer questions. Their photo gallery has some stunning examples of their work.
    I've never owned an Alembic bass, but have played many over the years and am a fan of their designs.

15. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    You got me there, so I guess the only input I can say is the rule of diminishing return probably hits me too hard to justify an Alembic. I'm not going to start a thread asking how one compares to my Ibanez ATK 305 or my G&L Tribute SB-2(although the SB-2 has much fewer knobs as I have seen on Alembics; is that what raises the price so much?).

16. ^This.^

I've never seen an Alembic bass in the flesh. I have seen and held an Alembic Series 1 guitar exactly once. Amazing workmanship and tone. It was being played by some college student. I didn't ask him how he afforded it. I specced it out on the Alembic website, it was about $7000 in 2005...

I have seen a few NBD threads for Alemics.

17. A lot of people do, but they're so expensive (and exclusive, dealer-wise) that not many people simply ever find one, let alone own one. Personally, I'm not a fan of their sound, or their look, so I always have a very indifferent attitude towards them. No offence to the manufacturers, I just don't like the design.

18. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
  19. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I have owned two, played a bunch more.

There's not much to "discuss" about Alembics. There's no aftermarket "modding" done to 99% of them, no pickguards to mull over, you'd have to be nuts to even THINK about replacing the electronics. Upgrading? I don't think so.

No, they're not for everybody, but those who want one are not likely to find it necessary to "get other opinions" to sway them in or out of purchasing one., in short, they are a known commodity and when you buy one, you know pretty much what you're getting into, no mysteries.

I no longer have either Alembic, found out I was more of a traditional, bolt-on, passive player, but If I ever have to play LOUD again, I'd be looking for another Alembic. Hi-fi as all heck, and that filter system on them is fantastic.

20. rjmsteel

rjmsteel

Jan 25, 2009
    Lake County, IL
    Most guys & gals who buy Alembics do so with the intent of keeping them, see the above posts regarding the longevity of ownership. In regards to the controls, or multitude of them, (in some cases lack of controls) is based on the model of the bass.

They do offer quite an array of models or configurations to choose from whether stock or custom. I'm not however saying their inexpensive.