1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why does one particular note (G-string, 9th fret) make all my strings vibrate?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Balkan, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Balkan

Balkan

Aug 8, 2005
    New York, NY
    Just acquired a 72 P-Bass which I love, BUT, when I play the E on the 9th fret of G string it causes a continuing hum even after I mute the string. Annoying because it causes dissonance with other notes. I finally realized the hum goes away when I mute ALL my strings, because what's happening is that the other strings are vibrating. Any thoughts on why this is happening? Not an issue with any other notes as far as I can tell.

2. The same thing happens with my ESP F-204 at that same fret, although I'm downtuned 1/2 step.. I never noticed it before downtuning, so I am not sure if the problem existed before.

The only thing I know is that certain notes can cause the neck to resonate at that frequency and usually either cancel a note out (deadspot) or cause other strings to vibrate.

I guess a person could experiment with devices like the fatfinger or by clamping something onto the headstock that might change the way the neck wood vibrates. I've noticed that different truss rod tensions sometimes change or shape this. I've heard that some have success with bolt on necks by increasing the neck to body transfer with threaded inserts and machine screws instead of traditional woodscrews..

Mag...

3. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    overtones, and the harmonic sequence.

you're playing an E. E's harminoic sequence is E F# G# A# B C# D
    so your E and D string are going to vibrate hard because D's Harmonic sequence is D E F# G# A B C and D. and then you have the A string harmoic sequence which is A B C# D# E F# G. and the low B would be B C# D# E# F# G# A.

i'm sure you can notice all the similar notes

4. Balkan

Balkan

Aug 8, 2005
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the tips. I'm noticing that my old MM Stingray does the same thing on the same fret, but it's just much less noticeable. Weird. In any case, I'm dealing with it now by holding my fingers so as to mute the other strings.