Why does our hair change?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Dec 7, 2002.

1. When I was very young, I had platinum blonde, straight hair. It grew straight. Now It has changed to an orangish redish color. My question, is why does it change, and behave differently? When it gets longer, it doesn't stay straight, it curls up. Did the genetic makeup actually change?:confused:
  2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    No, the genetic makeup doesn't change, from the second you are conceived to the second you die, your DNA is the same. I don't know why our hair changes though, someone else will have to clear that one up.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Orange color and curls...

Seems you should be more specific before turning your hair dresser loose.

4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's why I go and get a preventetive hairectomy about once a month or so. Not covered by my insurance but it's only 10 bucks anyway.

brad cook
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what several people other than me want to know is how someone can have dark brown hair and have a beard either with red elements (me) or completely red hairs (brendan).

brotherhood of bearded bassists, member 'brad, out!
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    too much beta-carotene.

too many TB polls == too many carrots :)
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes! I'm one of those other than you! (Duh :))

I have decidedly reddish hairs in my moustache (or used to before it turned gray :() but brownish hair (until that too turned gray - dang! :mad: )

Is it that the beta-caroten only reaches that far from the mouth?
  9. For the first few days after my birth I had almost black hair, then my hair turned platinum blonde and has stayed this way (ok it gets darker when i don't get much sun, because sun has a bleaching effect).

only my beard sometimes has a black hair or two

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    actually i think that it is a combination of how much sunlight gets to your hair and the amount of melanin that the body produces. (melanin is what makes you dark or light depending on how much you have: people of african descent have a lot of it, albinos have none) decreased melanin=change in hair color (eventually gray)
  11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    and how exactly does carrots factor into melanin?
  12. Okay, but red hair behaves differently than platinum blond. Even if it is melenin, then why the heck does it change it's growing behavior?
  13. don't know. busy washing that gray right out of my hair. haha:D
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I've heard that a lack of copper in your diet can be a main cause in hair prematurely turning grey or white. Beside that point, your hair changes color because God doesn't think you're attractive enough and he's trying to give you a hand :D
  15. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    LOL... I wish God helped me out too:D
  16. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    my hair is kinda.. really light brown with blonde and black splotches (natural)..
    my gottee.. on the otherhand is kinda brown on the bottem and really really dark almost black on the middle part that goes up to my lip =X.hmm.. I shave now.. everyone used to tell me i looked like.. a nobody. ...now i have glasses and shorter hair.. no gottee and im told i look like buddy holly.. or else elvis costello.. i rather be elvis since hes one of my heros.
  17. GUYS HELP!!!!

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's called life, then life with children.
  19. Quick!! Shave it all off and burn it during the Celtic hairaloscence ritual!:D