Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does pickin out new cabs have to be so hard?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Aug 22, 2004.

1. I still can't decide what to get and it's REALLY starting to frustrate me...

I want the sound and feel of an Ampeg 810 but the weight of each to under 60 (really like to keep it under 50) lbs...and I just can't find something to suit that...I am young but I still have back problems

I want this to be a rig that will be road worthy and studio worthy for years to come so I don't mind shelling out some cash (although cheaper is always better lol)

I am running a Traynor YBA200 which I absolutely LOVE, but am still haunted by the thought of an Iamp 800

Please help me...and all the places around me only have SWR,GK,Ampeg (mmmm the 810),and Fender cabs. A couple places about an hour from me have Aguilar GS112's and Yorkville cabs....so I really have to go on opinion for any other brands

I play rock,Jam,and upright....Looking for one do it all 4ohm cab or (2) 8ohm cabs..

THe sound that I want is that of Ryan Stasik from Umphrey's Mcgee (he runs an Eden 210xlt and 115xlt w/ a WT800)...and next to the Ampeg 810 that's the best sounding set up I've heard...nice and LOW but with a hard hitting punch

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

I should also mention that I play in two different bands

both have Extremely loud guitarists (one of em is running a Bad Cat 2x12 combo w/ a Koch 412 extension cab :help: )

and both drummers are pretty loud...

I just wanna be Deep, cut through with a punch,and BE ABLE TO HEAR MYSELF!

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Why is picking out new cabs so hard? Because there are so many excellent choices available. The bass world has been blessed recently with a multitude of quality products, and at ever-decreasing price points.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're joking, right? An Eden D-210XLT weighs in at 68 pounds. You want an 810 sound at 50 pounds X 2? A D-410XLT weighs 98 pounds. The good 810s out there weigh 200 pounds. Generally speaking, good/loud sound = heavy speakers, except if you go with neodymium magnets, then you've got cost/heating issues.

I'd recommend getting Stasik's rig, if that's the sound you like. It isn't going to sound anything like 8 tens, though. I have that rig sitting in my practice room right now, and it doesn't compare to my D-410XLT. If I were you, I'd go with a D-410XLT, a D-210XLT and a WT-800. That way, you can travel light with just the 210, travel medium and plenty loud with the 410 and, for the BIG show, take everything.

It's hard to say whether you should get 8-ohm or 4-ohm cabs. The WT-800 can be bridged only into 8 ohms, so you wouldn't be able to bridge either way with 4-ohm cabs. You would be able to get all 800 watts by going stereo into 4-ohm cabs. All my cabs are 8-ohm, which works fine for me, since I usually play bridged into just my 410 for all 800. I can get only about 480 watts (240 a side) in stereo, but that's plenty loud for me.

Good luck.

4. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    1. Lift with your legs.

2. Go to a chiropractor.

3. Buy sweet ass huge rig of doom!

5. screw it, I'm gonna get one of the big schroeders (21012 or 410) and get an avatar 112 for practice...i'm sick of trying to find a Huge sounding small cab...lol :bassist:

of course I say that, but now that I checked the site with shipping they are up over 900 bucks each now....what's with the 100 dollar jump???

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The original prices were an introductory offer, and ended shortly after NAMM.

7. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    start soapbox>

What the bass world needs is a way of sorting all of this stuff out.

Some of us like ultra HI-FI. Some of us like ultra Vintage. Most of us are in between these two extremes of bass tone.

Have any of you seen the tone ratings in "Guitar Galleria". They have all their Les Pauls put on a scale of tone. At one end you have "Dark" and the other end you have "Bright" with an arrow indicating where a particular guitar falls on that scale.

If we had such unified rating scheme for all of the bass cabs and bass amps out there, we could make more informed choices in less time. Even though I understand frequency response, very few manufactures post very good information on just what thier equipment can do. All they say is "This will rock your world" or something cheesey like that. I am personally feeling the same frustration in not knowing what will sound the way I want it to.

/end soapbox>

8. You want the 810 sound, buy a darn 810 and suck it up (get stronger or a friend to help lift haha)

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I second and billionth that. If you want a big, badassed rig, ya just gotta go get it. :) No substitute for an Ampeg 8x10, just like there's no substitute for a Boogie 2x15 or 6x10... :D Even though both weigh in around 120-140lbs, it's still the goods. It's the Time-Quality-Quantity triangle thing you learn in economics. :) Or something similar. My final rig will consisit of a 2x15, paired with this cab. Always been my dream, and will be loud enough to rock anywhere. :) Just go for it man. You won't be happy with anything less than what you really want.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    ...saying that we all like to have absalataly true cabs (electric signal in=sonic signal out), and tools to design our sound before the cab (i.e. amps, eq's, effects etc).

11. Have you looked at many 15's. Allot of them are nice and low, with a hard hitting punch. I prefer to use my boogie 15 as a solo cab, because of the low punch I can't find in smaller cabs, with 10's. Eden's close, but more of a low mid punch, which might be more to your liking.

12. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Word from a friend who went to summer NAMM, Aguilar showed a 8X10 cabinet. ??

Also, everytime I see this thread, I want to say "why does love have to be so hard?" Now I've said it. :p