Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does rickenbacker take so long?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaswine85, Feb 3, 2003.

1. I ordered a BurgundyGlo Rick 4003 in November. They guys at the place i ordered it from say it wont be in till around April. Why does it take so friggin long to put together my bass? Shouldn't it have already been put together and stuff since BG is 2002 only? Just curious! :D

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Modulus is currently at 5-6 months for filling an order.

3. Yes but why? And why would my 2002 only bass be made in 2003? Is it gonna say 03 in the serial? thanks

4. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Why? Because Rickenbacker is operating at full capacity and they have more orders than they can fulfill instantly. If you order one of their standard models, you are usually looking at a wait of at least four months.

If it's made in 03 it will have an 03 in the serial number. My Desert Gold 330 guitar has an 02 serial number; it was the 01 special color, ordered in 01.

5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I read an interview with John Hall where he said they produce in batches. They will do solid body guitars for a month or so, then basses, then hollow bodies.

The wait for their acoustic guitars is even longer. It's worth it though. I love my 2001 4003.

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Rickenbacker clearly stated that they would only accept ORDERS for Burgundyglo instruments up until December 31, 2002.

It will take them until June or July of 2003 to fill all of their Burgundyglo orders. The demand for new Burgundyglo Rickenbackers was very high, and I believe caught the factory a bit off guard.

As the special color of the year, it proved to be very successful.

And as DW mentioned, your bass will be clearly identified with the 03 at the start of the serial number, indicating that it was made in 2003.

Be patient, you won't be disappointed once you finally get it.

Cheers,

7. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    What's this year's special color?

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    This year is Montezuma Brown, which appears to me to be a kind of tobacco sunburst.
    [​IMG]
    See their colors + options page.

9. OldManBass

OldManBass

Aug 27, 2003
    I have just passed the 1 year anniversary of ordering a Cheyenne II. I called the factory and they still have no idea when they might make the bass. "We don't have production schedules" and "We've been working on the C series". Will I die before I see this bass?

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What does a new ric go for now?

11. OldManBass

OldManBass

Aug 27, 2003
    This particular one is listed at $1,750 now. I committed (a year ago) to pay $1,250.

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Wow, what a long time to wait, but I think once you get it you will agree it was worth it.

13. OldManBass

OldManBass

Aug 27, 2003
    I called the factory and they now are saying that "we have a new system, and there have been some glitches". The bottom line is that there is no order for my bass whereas there was an order when I last checked in March. So here I am, a year later and I have nothing. Has anyone else had similar experiences with Ric?

Signed ... ReallyFrustratedWithRic

14. You mean you have to pay in full up front, and then wait and wait without a solid completion date? :confused:

Mike

15. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    If you ordered it straight from Ric i would be not be conserned, at least from the article they had on TV about Ric they are always at the minimum 6 weeks wait on back order. they do this, because they hold true to their measure of quality and will not sacrifice to meet a deadline. i think that is great, and asures you will have a great instrument.

however since you ordered it through a middle man, they should have had this in stock. or do something for you on the price. if it is a 2002 it should have a 02 in the serial, with an 03 date on the certificate. i wouldn't know for sure, but i would be pissed if i had to wait and was buying it through another party and not Ric directly.

16. OldManBass

OldManBass

Aug 27, 2003
    To the "Master of Potato Salad". I put $100 down on 8/24/2002. At that point I was told 4 to 6 months. The rest is history ....

17. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    ok i think i read something wrong earlier. so you didn't go through someone. you went straight through Ric?

if that is the case i wouldn't feel so bad about the wait, but if they are making you feel your order was lost i would seriously start looking for all proof of transaction and threaten leagal action.

however if they are aknowleging the fact you placed an order. waiting for anything from them is not uncommon. i heard the wait for an accoustic guitar for example is a year at minimum.

however, if there was a bass you ordered that they offered and are now playing you can't get it when your order was on time. they should do something to make you feel better as a customer. just getting your money back after all this time wouldn't be enough for me. hell if i wanted my money held for almost a year i'll go to a bank.

18. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Just to be "nice" with you, whil you are waiting, have a look at that picture attached...

Seriously, the Burgundyglo colour is my favourite and the new Rickenbacker pickups are so hot, they are really worth it. Just wait and you will not be disappointed.

But, I understand you. I gave up on buying a new Ric 5 String Cheyenne Bass. It would take at least 18 months.

I think there is another Burgundyglo available in stock at the dealer RicPage. Have a look under Collectables at the link: http://www.ricpage.com.
    They are great !

19. Amen to that! Good things take time. All good things to those who wait. etc etc.

--jeff

20. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Does anybody know how the 4004 Cheyenne II and the 4003 differ in tone?
    I know there has to be a difference. I really like the way the Cheyenne looks (except I wish it had the Triangle fretboard inlays), but really like the tone of the classic 4001/4003.