Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does Rondo always do this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jan 29, 2005.

1. GAAHHH!!! Why does Rondo music always tempt me like this? I had been drooling over that sjb-62MG lake Placid Blue jazz bass, but I really wanted an ash body. Now they come out with the SJB-75C, with an ash body, maple neck with block inlays and ashtrays. Anybody get a chance to play one yet?

Here's the link: www.rondomusic.net/sjb75.html

The most painful thing is that I have the money in the bank to get it, but I need to pay my car insurance ($300. Yeah, it sucks to be a 19-year-old single male).

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Wow, that's a sweet looking bass! The price is astonishingly low as well. Makes me wonder how they do it.

3. has anyone played one?
    =

4. I have both the SJB-62MG and the SJB-75C. I love them both but I play the 62MG more right now than the 75C.

I got my 75C last week. It definantly has a great sound (for the price). Only problem I have been having is getting it setup. Just doesnt seem to want to play right. Im going to change out the strings on it. The intonation was way out of wack too when I got it.

They are BOTH great basses. I bought both so I could have the sound of the maple neck and rosewood neck. To be honest, I have a Modulus Quantum 6. The last two gigs I have played, Ive played the Modulus for 2-3 songs, and then my 62MG for the rest. I think both basses are WAY better than my MIM Jazz

I dont know how they make the basses so cheap. I was really skeptical before I bought one. But, now since I've played it and realized its a good bass, it makes me wonder how long they can keep making them this cheap.

Edit: Just a fore warning. If you buy these basses, be prepared to change out the pickups. This is the only place where I feel the bass is lacking.

5. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Start saving your pennies: The 3-tone sunburst '75 is due in March. :hyper:

No word on fretboard/inlays, but as soon as I hear anything, I'll post it. The picture of the natural '75 (not the one with ashtrays currently at Rondo) on the Teamintlco website shows maple with white inlays. I'm hoping for rosewood with white inlays for the 3TS to counter the '75 with ashtrays (which I just dropped off for a pro setup today).

Glenn D.

6. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    I've got a fretless SX (not sure about the model number), with a beautiful QMT and I can safely say it is the most beautiful bass I've seen.

Rondo basses are really good, except the pickups.

7. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I'm really skeptical about getting a proper marcus sounding american jazz slap sound from these, even with good pickups. Can anyone comment?

Troll

8. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I just bought an SX myself and for the money, they aint bad. Here's my thoughts:
    1..needs set ups for sure
    2..as good as you can get a set up, you'll still need to file and polish some frets
    3.. pick up height adjustment
    4..new strings

other than that, not bad at all. I do believe that the "quilt tops" are actually a film over the body to give the effect.

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I got my SX last night...and it seems perfect...no need for a setup (strings are pretty low as is without any buzz or anything and its where i like it...), the strings are half decent, pickup height well, that i may need to raise the neck pickup a bit for more room for my thumb...and no high frets or sharp frets anywhere.

Maybe I just got lucky

10. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I'd say so. I mean, you gotta remember that these things are mass produced in China or (Korea?). But like I said, for the money, not bad at all.

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Its China.

But great by my standards anyways...

12. i need that...droolssss