Why does STEREO sound better than B.M.?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

This happened with an Eden amp I had also. I got a Gallien 2000RB and was trying different configs. Bridge Mono sounded WAY over the top and very Cardboardy. I have a Mesa 4-10/1-15 cab that I can run in either 2 x 8 Ohm or 1 x 4 Ohm. and I hooked the G-K up running stereo 2 x 8 Ohms loads, and I THINK.... it's about 350W each.. Where B.M. is 1000 watts.. So 700 V. 1000, no biggy.

I just wanted to know why they sound MUCH better in stereo.. Thanks, Bob
  2. Im going to *guess* that the way your runing it it is simply giving you a better head/cab matchup.....Ive noticed that with my SVT4Pro that different cabs in different configurations (i.e. Mono/Bridge Vs Full Range Stereo Vs Bi-amping...) seems to give me widely varied results.
    Just a thought....
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Dumb question, but did you get the phases right when running stereo? I am just asking because it would explain your result.
  4. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Not to hijack the thread, but have you ever run something like 2 4X10 cabs in stereo with you 4-Pro? I had a 4-Pro and just used a single SVT410-HLF, and based on the great sound, I can only imagine what 2 would sound like.

5. Did you use the 4 ohm option when running bridged mono? - because then your amp will 'see' 2 ohm and that might be too low. Running bridged will halve the impedance the amp will 'see'.
  6. Amps running at 2 ohms generally produce more harmonic distortion than when at 4 ohms (usually 1% vs. 0.1%). Depending on whether the output stage is FET or bipolar, this could possibly sound quite nasty or quite pleasing.
  7. Rockbobmel

Your right, the question was dumb because by post is that stereo sounded BETTER and mono was worse.

Peter, B.M only runs in 4 Ohm. No other way. No How. When I am in stereo, It is seeing 2 8 Ohm loads.

See PDF file (if it loads)
  8. Rockbobmel

Nope. It is too big and I can't separate the page from the manual.

Maybe Daniel Elliot is out there?
  9. If you can only bridge into 4 ohms than your amp is seeing 2 ohms. That might be overwhelming the amp.
  10. Rockbobmel

Forget it. Thanks anyway. I'll start a new thread.
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I wasn't trying to razz you, and you're right, I missed which one was better and which one was worse.

(Unless mismatched phase sounds better.) :bag:
  12. I have, and it is truly a great sound!
  13. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    The 2001 RB is rated to two ohms stereo, and for a 4 ohm load bridged, so this is clearly NOT the issue.

Now, for the original poster, the specs for an amp only give the lowest impedance it will drive (4 ohms in this case). Anything higher is fine . . . right up to no load at all. So, you COULD drive one half of your cab at 8 ohms bridged, but you would only get about 700 watts or so. Take a look at your manual - it only shows 2 ohms for stereo, right? And you clearly are not running 2 . . . like I said, it's a minimum, nothing more.

- Tim
  14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Generally, they shouldn't produce that much more THD unless they're run into more clipping.
  15. I thought the B.M. initials stood for bowel movement for a second there.
  16. Rockbobmel

Sorry, I should be less abrasive.

I just get frustrated at guessing. Did you ever go to a store and look, and look, and read lables, you give up and ask a clerk if he knows the difference? He then grabs a package and starts to read the lable?