1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why does the dog just sit and stare at me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've written to this group about my daughter's pit bull and received some great advise as to how to train him. It's been almost 40 years since I last owned a dog so am puzzled by one aspect of "Cassius." He will come up to where I am sitting and watching television and just sit there and stare at me. Sometimes for hours. Is this common? I can't remember a dog ever doing this to me. Cassius is now 2 years old.

2. he wants attention? at least it's not as bad as if it were barking for those hours

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    he wants attention or is challenging you alpha status.

mine does that when she wants 1 of 2 things.

to get up and snuggle with me, or she has to go out for pee.

4. He's using the force on you to get you to feed him, or maybe give him the car keys.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Most pits are very attention-and-love hungry.
    Mine will come over and sit on your foot and lean into your leg to get some pets.
    Or if he's feeling not quite sure of himself, he'll stare soulfully until someone comes over to pet him.
    First thing I'd do is talk to him animatedly ("hey boy, howya doin'?") and go over and give him some good skritches.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, he wants attention. Probably waiting for you to play, exercise him, or give him commands.

When I'm at the computer, my dog will throw a ball at my feet and then sit there fixedly staring at the ball. If I even adjust my position in the chair he'll spring to a ready-to-pounce position... and then if I don't do anything he'll sit back down and stare at the ball.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not a dog but my cat does that to my wife. Will just come over and sit and stare at her! When ignored, she'll stand on her hind legs, reach up and tap her!

8. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    You're funnier than what's on TV? :)

9. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    You wouldn't happen to be wearing a meat hat, would you?

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    ^ This

It's a well known fact that companion animals will use Jedi mind tricks to influence their owners actions. In the case of David Berkowitz the results were quite tragic. Hopefully he only wants you to play ball with him.

11. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    He wants to hump you.

12. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    It's a form of aggression. He wants to bite you. :) And not in a good way. :D

angry_dog.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Did you ever consider the fact you look like a sausage?

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    He's thinking one of these:

1. Playplayplayplayplayplayplay...
    2. Scratchmescratchmescratchmescratchme...
    3. Feedmefeedmefeedmefeedmefeedmefeedme...
    4. Why does this man keep staring at me?

15. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Pit bull? When he stares at you, he has only one thought....."dinner is served"

16. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Some of your comments are hilarious. Do all dogs do this or just the pits?

17. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    My labs do it too. Especially our chocolate lab Cleatus, he stares constantly at my wife. He even blasts wood when he stares at her. He also follows her everywhere around the house when she is home. I think he has a crush on her. To really piss him off, I will sometimes love on her and give her affection just to make him jealous.

18. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Stare him down and see what happens. Insurance payed up?

19. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Why not throw the ball?

I know this is a bit in jest, but is this the kind of thing people think about pit bulls? Do you guys know they were bred to be docile towards humans?

20. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    My insurance company says they won't insure me if I have one, that's all I need to know.