Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does this happen when buying gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SnoMan, Dec 15, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    or selling one.

Thankfully, this hasn't happened to me yet. Though I am hoping to make two purchases very soon.

But Why? Why!!?!?!!?! Does car trouble occur as soon as you find yourself it he position to buy new gear?

I personally can recall two occurences of my own where I 1. blew a tire and damaged the rim and 2. where I had to get my timing belt replaced that have caused me to have to back out of deals.

I hate it!

I know a lot of people probably use it as a convinient excuse...but has anyone had this happen enough to question it?

perhaps we're all cursed..... :ninja:

2. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I was always told that you can have a good car, a good woman or a good gig, but you can't have all three. Life has a way of balancing things out.

I way I figure it, I'll be walking, wanking or looking for work.

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm not having any issues currently. Beyondhairy's ebay issue is what reminded me of my experiences and hearing from others.

and hey...I'm 22....do you honestly think I have a monetary contengency plan? I mean come on...... :D

In all honesty, I do need to work on that contengency plan....finish paying my credit card off and keep it just for that purpose.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wait until you have more than enough money to get the gear you want and cover life's unexpected happenings down the road and you still can't buy the gear out of guilt :) I've bought so much gear this year between basses (none of which I have now..) and drums, and even though I want to get back into bass and only plan on spending $500 on a bass or so, with christmas and not enough time passing between my splurges, I can't bring myself to spend the money. Even though financially it wouldn't hurt me.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "Life's emergencies" are what credit cards are for.

I have a rule: I buy music gear ONLY from funds earned on gigs. If I don't have the cash in the bank I don't buy it, period. Car repairs, rent, groceries and stuff are funded by my day job.

It's not too bad, really, if I can get two gigs a week and average $75 take home per gig (which is not hard to do at all) that's $600 a month. Hey, a new Sadowsky every six months :cool:

Seriously, when I was in my 20s I didn't have a lot of cash either so my gear purchases were VERY carefully thought out. However, as long as you have steady gigs (maybe you don't) cash will continue to flow in. I had a gig every Sunday night for 7 years, it paid only $30...but over the 7 years I earned about $10,000 from that gig.