1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why does this make my pickups stop working when touching shielding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Linas, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Ok, so i just installed my new dimarzio model Js. Everything is soldered correctly and the pickups work perfectly when the control plate is not bolted down, but as soon as the control plate touches the overlap of copper the pickups stop working properly and do not pickup anything. This is reaaaaaaaly agravating me!!!:(

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    It sounds like you have a hot wire going to ground somewhere in your cavity.

Say to yourself, "I did something wrong." and look again. (Serious. I've had to do this myself on a few occasions.)

Can you post a pic? Maybe we can see what you're not? (I've gone this route also.)

:D

Joe.

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    YES!!!!! i finally got it to work properly. The cultrit: the hot tab on the input jack was touching the shielded cavity wall and i guess that was what was causing it to cut out. So i put a tab of electrical tape where the contact is made and now my pickups work as it should.

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Right on!

Congrats!

:D

Joe.