1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why does this new spector ns2 look off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Upper horn too close to the neck, lower bout too narrow and looks shaped wrong. Has the photo been stretched? Or did I miss a redesign memo?

Attached Files:

2. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Probably just a picture distortion issue. Bassstringsonline is an authorized Spector dealer.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I see this quite often, although this is an extreme example.
    Remember, they are all sanded by hand after rough shaping, resulting in them never being quite identical.

4. japhy4529

This is REALLY extreme. If this is really how the bass looks (and not a picture resolution/distortion issue) then in my opinion this shouldn't have passed quality control).

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Why?
    If the bass plays flawlessly and operates as expected, why is it wrong to sell as a hand shaped instrument that's just off the norm to a greater percentage than most?
    Many other Spector models are NS based, but certainly very different in their final shape so it's not a performance issue.

Unless site unseen, a buyer can always say they don't want to buy "that one".
    I'm guessing most are much more worried about color and/or performance.

FWIW, I think if you compared a large group of black, high gloss NS2's, between the way the light reflects off the inconsistent (because of hand shaping) surfaces and standing against a white background, you would notice a lot more of this kind of thing.

Like I said, I notice this kind of thing in pictures of NS2's all the time. Especially where the upper horn looks closer or farther away. Or less or more "bulbous" than average.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Mr.Bassie720 likes this.
  6. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    That was the short lived but highly sought after "Funhouse" Model.

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

It's turned slightly with the treble side closer to the lens than the Bass side horn.
    Perspective. The body is convex enhancing the effect.

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oh thanks.....great.......
    ......now I want it.

alack likes this.
  9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You're right, but so is the OP.
    The upper horn is definitely closer than normal and the lower horn looks like it wasn't rounded and shortened quite as much as the norm.

gebass6 likes this.
  10. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Look up the ebay ad, the other pics from other angles look just as "off" as this one does.

11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    upload_2016-12-23_14-16-41.

alack, Matthew_84, MrWolf14 and 3 others like this.
  12. japhy4529

I get that the USA models are hand shaped, but I've watched tours of the Spector Woodstock facility and I know they use a CNC machine, which I would imagine contains the NS2 "recipe." At what point does "off the norm to a greater percentage than most" turn it into the aforementioned funhouse model?! Like you said, I'm sure it still sounds great, but I wouldn't buy it (and I've wanted a black NS2 for a while now).

Tim Cole likes this.
  13. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    The complex contours of a Spector, combined with an odd camera angle, and gloss finish, I just looked at the other pics in the ad, it's gorgeous, nothing looks off after seeing the other pics.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    murphy and bjelkeman like this.
  14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They CNC the basic shape. Everything beyond is left to the muse of the hand finishers.

Growlmonkee makes a good point. Many of the pics on the eBay auction make it look much less varied from the midline we're used to. But yes, there is no doubt the horns are a little different than the base perception we envision.
    Not wrong. Just a little more variance to one way or the other than we usually see.

While it's no secret "some" Chinese counterfeits (any brand) are incredibly accurate and well made (and many aren't), Jason at Bass Strings is a Spector dealer who's reputation is impeccable. I have zero doubts about this bass.

15. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Oh agreed, I would bet the farm that this is an authentic USA NS-2 as advertised. Just wondered if I were crazy about how it looks so much different. The other pics look as "off" to me as well. Bottom half of body looks too narrow and the contour on the neck through transition looks kind of over-carved too.

petey293 likes this.
  16. japhy4529

Yes, no doubt it's the real thing. Jason @ BSO is the man.

17. Looks like it was left in the car on a hot day. :woot:

18. The neck pick up is awfully close to the neck

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not really.
    Between the fact that it's a 24 fret neck (longer than the average 20-22 fret) and you readily see ALL the fingerboard end slope into the abrupt glossed black, the neck IS (24 fret) and looks (slope) closer to the pretty standard P position.

BTW, speaking of pickup positioning,
    have you seen the bass in your avatar?!? :laugh:

20. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    God I hope the Forte 6 I ordered doesn't look like this, I'll send it back, honestly this is unacceptable.

alack likes this.