Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does this string sound weird?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass_si, Dec 27, 2002.

1. bass_si

bass_si

Dec 15, 2002
    England, UK
    Hi I am a total bass newbie and have just got my first, and very cheap, Bass guitar. The trouble being when I play the E string open it seems to be rattling off the frets. None of the other strings do this is this normal or has the string been set incorrectly?? cheers happy new year

2. Hi Bass_si,

It's probably just your E string that is set too low, you need higher action. (height from the string to the frets)
    This is done by raising the saddle (the thingie on the bridge, where the string rests on) with a small hex key.

Click the following link, it should help you :
    http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

By the way, welcome to Talkbass !

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    off to setup...

4. Sounds 'bout right. Maybe check the relief on the neck, unlikely but a possibility. Just look down the neck from bridge to head stock and see if there is a slight curve. upward toward the headstock. A slight curve is good.

If it is tilting or bending too much/not at all. Then you'll need to adjust that elusive truss rod.

Also try better strings.

:D:D

Merls

5. It may also be that you are hitting the string too hard!

Happy bass playing and hope you get it sorted! :D

HNY ;)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Does the E only rattle when played open? If it does not rattle when you play it at the first fret(or higher) it is one of two problems.

First, the nut slot could be too large. Second, the string may not have enough of a break angle over the nut to seat it firmly in the slot.