why does Vic Wooten put his 115 on top of his 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Apr 28, 2004.

1. I don't know if this is why he does it, but often times a 1x15 will couple with the floor and create excessive boom, but if you put a 4x10 on the floor the coupling is less boomy and you get a more focused tone, not to mention you can hear the 1x15 better because its up near ear level. "A best of both worlds" deal. :D

I've used this kind of set-up a few times and liked it alot.
  2. thanks! I figured that it had something to do with lows over vibrating but I wasn't sure.
  3. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    He doesn't always do it that way. When I saw him a few weeks ago he had them both on the floor next to eachother, so who knows?

4. You shouldn't ALWAYS do it any way really. For most of the players i've met (and a few here on TB IIRC) Moving your cabs around is a part of EQing for the room. In a REALLY boomy room i'd put both cabs up off the floor, in a mid way room they'd be vertical (order would depend on magnitude of boominess) and in a room that is not low frequency friendly, putting both cabs on the floor helps out your lows. :bassist:

When you saw him, either he just felt like putting both on the floor, or he probably need to help out his lows a bit.
  5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    so if i put my 15 on top of my 4x10, i'll be as good as him? ;)
  6. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Only if a roadie puts it up there for you.
  7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

actually , i've heard {from Jim Bergantino} , that the 15 has a wider dispersion than the 10's , and he recommends the 10's on the bottom . sounds kinda strange, because all the players i've seen using this arrangement had the 15 on the bottom...
    i'd have to take his word for it . :cool:
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I do it because my 410 has wheels and my 115 doesn't. I'm too lazy to take the wheels off the 410.
  9. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Every time I've seen him, he's had the 15 under the 410, and they were sitting on a rolling platform/riser. I'm guessing that was the bottom of the road case, and they just throw the lid on it and wheel it out after the show.

I'm guessing he uses the standard 410 on 15 setup most of the time, and just switches it when the room requires it. Well, when the stage requires it, since he's going through the house PA anyway . . .
  10. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have two different 4x10 cabs. The deeper one goes on top mainly because it also has the better sounding tweeter - but I convince myself there's slightly less floor coupling boominess, too.

Munj - I have the same laziness issue with wheels, but I just turn the top cab (the one with wheels)* on its side so the casters hang off to the side. The front is roughly a square, anyway.. I imagine you've considered similar options and rejected them, but it sure works for me. :)

*Obviously the stacking order gets reversed for load-in/load out transport.
  11. why not just put the 410 on top on its side??

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sometimes, when you do that, the wheels vibrate and make noise when you hit the lower notes. Not good. Removable casters are good for remedying this, but I've yet to find any removable casters that are durable and don't fail in a few months.
  13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Or if you have SUNN products, the wheels are MEANT to be there--there are special grooves in the top of the cabs for the wheels to set in! :D
  14. See, now that is smart. I'm impressed by Sunn more and more these days...
  15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

I guess you do still have to remove the casters on one of the cabs, but yeah--it's an awesome idea. The fact that the casters also snap out easily makes it even more desirable.

Makes me sad that they had to go and sell out to Fender :(

Nothing against Fender, but it seems that Sunn was doing perfectly fine on its own :(
  16. Station

Feb 2, 2004
    Wales , UK
    I have a 1 x 15 (with 2 x 8's in as well) and a 4 x 10 and I always used to set up the 1 x 15 on the bottom and 4 x 10 on the top because, like most people, i always thought that was the done thing but a month or two back our drummer got to rehersal early* and set up my rig with the 4x 10 on the bottom, i couldn't be arsed to change them round so i just plugged in as they were. Iwas so impressed by this setup that I use them this way all the time now.

* makes a change from them being late eh? : )
  17. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

Drummer? Early? What?
  18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ...me, too.
  19. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i was thinking the same thing... the drummer in my band is always late!