Why does Willie need two bass players?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IamGroot, May 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018

2. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Well, the simple answer is, it works great and maybe one of them plays upright bass for the other songs.
    Why did the Grateful dead, James Brown, Allman Brothers all have 2 drummers?

The cure used two basses for the song, 'Primary'
    Robert Smith has such a talent for catchy, simple melodies that stick in your head

3. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    His playing is as off beat as his singing. Not literally...well...maybe. In any case, talk about an American original!

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't know, but that was really great!

5. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Often when the drummer just holds the line, the bass fills in the back beat. Some bass players can fill the melody, and hold a melody at the same time. But in Willie's case, more is less.

gebass6 likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That looks like a TV production. Maybe is was the finale of a big TV show with several acts and they all jammed together at the end. That's a stage full for a simple country song.

I'v seen him in concert twice and he didn't have two bass players either time.

So, yeah, this was a "jam" for a TV show.

SwitchGear and IamGroot like this.
  7. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018

Thanks - I believe that. Probably one of those guys had his volume way down or off.

Speaking from experience, the only way two or more basses work* is if they play EXACTLY the same line (which means the line is usually written out). If they don't, you get a pile of murky crap. This applies whether its an orchestral section of a the classic upright/electric doubling from early country and the Beach Boys.

Edit * this applies to bass rhythm lines. You can certainly have two bass players playing high/low parts like Wooten/Bailey.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Why does Spinal Tap need every bass player in the known universe?

HaphAsSard and GregC like this.
  9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Spinal Tap is our rock and roll dreams right before the alarm clock goes off.

10. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I heard Derek Smalls on the radio today... KCSN is spinning "Butt Dial".

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've seen lots of bands who needed two bass players.

12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yep. It's from a taping of the PBS show Austin City Limits in 1984. Definitely not his normal line up.

two fingers likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021