Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why does....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Selta, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I've only like 5 mins, so bear with me;
    Ok, so I recently got a Spector NS2000/5. I love it to death, but today I noticed that on the B string, anything below Eb sounds chorused. First thing I thought was battery. So I checked them, both were fine. I just noticed it this morning before leaving, so I didn't have much time to check EVERYTHING, but the saddle is solid, no nut vibration, batteries checked out. Anyone got anything? Strings are fairly new (at least they feel/sound new?)

Ray

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    First thing I would do is to try different strings.

3. check intonation,

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    From what I understand, that's the magnets in the pickup affecting the string pull, causing the string to move in such a manner that you get that "chorus" effect. Roscoe Beck mentions it in the "Blood, Sweat, And tuning Gears" section of the page

It's not "wrong" merely an issue with magnetic feilds and how they interact with the strings.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I can't afford to :(
    It's perfect, I keep my babies intonated, tuned and in good condition always.
    If it is this, what can I do to remdy it? It's annoying beyond belief, and of all the basses with EMG-HZs in them, this is the first one that I've run into to do this.

First thing I'll do is somehow find cash for a set of strings, see if that'll fix it or no...

Ray

6. Pickups are mounted to the body with screws that have springs on them between the pup and the body. Therefore, pickup height can be adjusted.

Take a screw driver and screw the pickup into the bass a little (only one turn at a time). Start on the B string side for now (leaving the G string side alone).

After each turn, test it out (see if it helps). If it doesn't, that isn't it. Also, at some point your pickup will bottom out and go no further. DON'T try to tighten beyond this point or you'll strip out the wood.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Great; however, I still make it a rule never to kiss wildebeest on a first date.

8. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    nut slot a little narrow?

tk