Why doesn't EB make stainless 5 string sets?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wasabi1264, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I love my StingRay 5 a lot, and have been playing it exclusively since my Warrior's neck joint went south (not that I have much choice). The only thing is that with the rosewood board, I get lots of warmth, but not as much top end bite. I was thinking maybe using steels instead of the nickle Slinky set, but it seems EB only makes 5 string sets in nickle. Anybody found steels they like with their StingRay 5?
  2. Who needs EB when you got DR? :)

I got .125-.045 Hi-Beams on my Stingray 5. Best strings I've ever used on that bass.
  3. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, it's hard to beat DR's, but I like that EB gauge (45 65 80 100 130) on my Stingray5. Try D'Addario ProSteels - EPS170-5.

4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have Drs on my sterling and i had EBs on there previously. The Ebs were higher tension and were okay for playing but the Drs are alot easier to play and slap better.
  5. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks...I'll try them out! It's funny...I normally never change from the brand that comes on my bass originally. This will be quite a big step for me ;-)

6. Take that step!
    Last year I went "soul" (string) searching for The Right String on my Stingray 5. (Must have blown aboutt $90 over that time...) Like yours, it had a rosewood fingerboard.
    I've tried everything from EB Slinkys (reg and light gauge), to D'Addario XL5s to Rotosound Swing Bass 66s to DR Hi-Beams and Lo-Riders. The Hi-Beams did it for me. hope they'll bring you 5-string joy as well.

Never change the brand of strings that came on your bass? Well you're lucky you're not playing a Fender :) Great guitars, awful strings!

EB Slinkys do sound and feel good on a maple neck, though.
  7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have Musicman stingray 5 maple fret board and found the DR Lo-Riders SS work best. Sit rock brights are great too. :p
  8. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    I've spent hundreds on strings over the past few years, and for my money, DR's are the most overrated strings I tried. It's worth trying the D'Addario Pro Steels (formerly Prisms). They have the guages you like, and they're available for $15 a lot of places.
  9. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, I actually am just experiencing this. My wife bought me a Mexi Jazz Fretless for my birthday, and I received it a week or so ago. The strings STINK! That's another thread, but I really need to search for some replacements to add a little more zing and guts to the sound.
  10. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm looking on the "juststrings.com" site. What is the difference between the Tite Fit and regular ones? Also, the closest gauge to the Slinkys looks to be the Medium Lites. Do they last longer than Slinkys, cause they are double the price! ;-)