1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why doesn't Epifani make a PS110 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmain, Dec 9, 2006.

1. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I know the UL110 is out there and not much more expensive than the PS112.

I was asking Joker about this when the PS line first came out. I missed out on some T110s and it just threw new kindling on the smoldering ashes.

I think it would pair well with the PS112, and would be a smaller cab to bring for those really small gigs/get togethers.

I think it would make more sense to pair a PS112 with a PS110instead of a UL110 to accomplish this.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

My guess here is it's based on what Nick sees as very small sales potential. Small 110 cabs are not that useful for electric bass. Quite a few DB players use them, since the rather compressed low end is actually a positive for DB. Most DB players are hyper-sensitive the weight, so the 110UL would make more sense for them.

Just IMO.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the design of the UL110 was pretty intricate in order to make it sound good. Maybe the woods of the PS series would not accomplish the goal that Nick went for. The 112 is a more popular size and the market is probably considerably better.

4. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    You're right that 110's don't do as well as 112 cabs in the BG market. Good points all around. I'm not as big a fan of the neo (112) cabs.

5. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    True, true. It's hard to get a decent sounding 110. My VL110matches pretty good with the PS112, but it's still about 38 lbs. I usually take it for stage volume and just use the 112 for support when I need it. I know some folks like the UL110/112 stack, but I'm not sure if the UL110 would blend as well with the PS112 (same price new); that's why a PS110 (or T110) makes more sense.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    On a side note, have you found any reasons why the UL110 may actually be more preferable than the UL112? I'm thinking as far as a standalone practice cab.

7. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I've know about the UL110 second hand. I had a UL112 for a while and dug it. I'd think the UL112 would be a better stand-alone cab for practice with a band, but the UL110 would be just as good for home-alone type of practice.

I liked the UL112 (and probably should have kept it); however, I like the low end from the PS112 and it's not really much heavier (about 6 lbs.) I think the voicing is a bigger difference than the weight.