1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why doesn't Fender make a 5-string P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 30, 2001.

1. I know Squier has the P-bass special 5. But there are no Fender P-bass 5s. Theres a 5 string jazz bass, but alas no P. Same with fretless! You'd think they'd make a 5 string or fretless version of the most popular bass in the world....

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Fender makes the American P-Deluxe in a fivestring
    version. Splitcoil + Humbucker.

I believe that Fender doesn`t make P 5ers because the tone of the low B wouldn´t be right.

David

3. Yeah, but why no P fretless? I'd have thought that the P pickup and the fretless sound combined would give an interesting sound.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have played a 5 string P-bass. I actually prefered the feel to a 5 string jazz. The B-string response was better in my opinion.

Although it looks like P, and has a 5 string version of a p neck, it is not a real P. It has two soapbar pickups in it. No split pickup.

Chas

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's odd, I saw a picture of a 5 string Fender P and it had the split coil pickup. I've seen it in stores and that's how it looked.

Will

6. big wheel's right, check out www.fender.com

panterafan- paul from the clash played a fretless p

7. And there is a fretless P on the packaging of Nylon Tapewound 9120s.

[​IMG]

I think they just keep switching their fretless models to keep things fresh. And the Jazz bass seems to be enjoying a resurgence of popularity lately.

FF

8. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    Well, the Squier 5 string isnt even a real P, its a P-body with J-pickups. MIA Fender Deluxe P 5, has a P and the Hummer... it sounds wonderful (I've played it its great). They do have fretless Ps that you can get... I just don't know many stores that actually have carried them.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Perhaps I misspoke. I have only seen one. It was new at a Guitar Center. I know it was American made, but it could have been a limited edition bass or perhaps from their custom shop. I am certain that this bass was configured with two soapbars. Very much like an L-2500.

Chas

10. davelowell

davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    get a warmoth or usa custom, and quit complaining.

build it yourself...

dave

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Man, the prices for Fender's USA custom jobs...$$$$!

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

That sounds like a Roscoe Beck signature model.

Did it look like this?

[​IMG]

Here is the American Precision Deluxe 5.
    [​IMG]

Both good 5 stringers for the money, much better B string than the Jazz V's IMHO.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A few years ago, Bass Player ran an article on the 'new' Fender basses. The only fretless model profiled was a P-Bass. BP was questioning why Fender would release a fretless P, but no J...

The first fretless electric bass that I ever saw was a Fender P-Bass with an unlined rosewood board... Beautiful!

Find a copy of 'Frampton Comes Alive'... The bass player has a fretless maple fingerboard P...

-robert

14. The best fretless I ever saw or played, was a mid 80's Squier (Japan) Jazz bass.