Why doesn't Fender make a 5-string P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 30, 2001.

1. I know Squier has the P-bass special 5. But there are no Fender P-bass 5s. Theres a 5 string jazz bass, but alas no P. Same with fretless! You'd think they'd make a 5 string or fretless version of the most popular bass in the world....
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Fender makes the American P-Deluxe in a fivestring
    version. Splitcoil + Humbucker.

I believe that Fender doesn`t make P 5ers because the tone of the low B wouldn´t be right.

3. Yeah, but why no P fretless? I'd have thought that the P pickup and the fretless sound combined would give an interesting sound.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have played a 5 string P-bass. I actually prefered the feel to a 5 string jazz. The B-string response was better in my opinion.

Although it looks like P, and has a 5 string version of a p neck, it is not a real P. It has two soapbar pickups in it. No split pickup.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    That's odd, I saw a picture of a 5 string Fender P and it had the split coil pickup. I've seen it in stores and that's how it looked.

6. big wheel's right, check out www.fender.com

panterafan- paul from the clash played a fretless p
  7. And there is a fretless P on the packaging of Nylon Tapewound 9120s.

I think they just keep switching their fretless models to keep things fresh. And the Jazz bass seems to be enjoying a resurgence of popularity lately.

8. Well, the Squier 5 string isnt even a real P, its a P-body with J-pickups. MIA Fender Deluxe P 5, has a P and the Hummer... it sounds wonderful (I've played it its great). They do have fretless Ps that you can get... I just don't know many stores that actually have carried them.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Perhaps I misspoke. I have only seen one. It was new at a Guitar Center. I know it was American made, but it could have been a limited edition bass or perhaps from their custom shop. I am certain that this bass was configured with two soapbars. Very much like an L-2500.

10. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    get a warmoth or usa custom, and quit complaining.

build it yourself...

11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Man, the prices for Fender's USA custom jobs...$$$$!
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That sounds like a Roscoe Beck signature model.

Did it look like this?

Here is the American Precision Deluxe 5.

Both good 5 stringers for the money, much better B string than the Jazz V's IMHO.
  13. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    A few years ago, Bass Player ran an article on the 'new' Fender basses. The only fretless model profiled was a P-Bass. BP was questioning why Fender would release a fretless P, but no J...

The first fretless electric bass that I ever saw was a Fender P-Bass with an unlined rosewood board... Beautiful!

Find a copy of 'Frampton Comes Alive'... The bass player has a fretless maple fingerboard P...

14. The best fretless I ever saw or played, was a mid 80's Squier (Japan) Jazz bass.