Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why doesn't fender make a 5 string precision...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drd07, Apr 28, 2003.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I know that fender makes the American Deluxe Precision 5 bass, but that has active electronics. And from what I've searched on this forum, I've heard it sounds close, but not exactly like a P-bass. I guess I'm just a passive kind of guy. So, why does fender not make a 5 string precision? Can anybody solve this problem?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm also a passive 5-string P-bass lover who is disappointed with available options. What's with all the Jazz-alikes? Jebus!

Neither Roger Sadowsky nor Dan Lakin will build a 5-string P-bass. I wound up getting a Mike Lull P5, but it isn't the perfect solution. Don't get me wrong, it's a very well made bass and I like it a lot, but playability is not very Fender-y: string spacing at bridge is 17mm rather than Fender-standard 19mm. Nut width is 1-7/8" (which I like) but neck profile is extremely slim. But I'm very picky that way. If you get a chance, you should check one out.

[​IMG]

3. Fuzzbass

P.S. You can order 'em as basic as you like: no J pup, no maple cap, and (like mine) no active electronics.

4. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    That bass does look pretty cool! How much do those run for?

I'm kind of in a toss up with my gear. I don't know if I should stick with a 5 string (thunderbird) and a 4 string (jack casady), or if I should get a standard fender precision 4 string and lose the 5 string bass.

I would keep one drop tuned to D for different songs. What do you think? Go for the Fender?

5. Fuzzbass

The Lull P5 is more expensive than the Fender Precision 5. Not twice as much, but a significant jump up.

3 years ago I decided that 5 string is more useful, but that's just for me. You have some cool basses. It might be a good idea for you to keep a 4 and a 5 for awhile; that way you'd have some time to decide which is more useful to you... or maybe you'll find it more useful to have one of each.

I suggest trying the Fender Precision 5 for yourself if you can. I think it plays very nicely, and while I too would prefer it passive, I still think it sounds like a Precision even with the active EQ.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's funny. You're the only one who's going to notice the difference in tone between a standard P-Bass and the American Deluxe P-5. I've played the latter, and its versatility alone makes up for any percieved disparity between its tone and that of a passive P.

Seriously. The audience has no clue. Every bass player who sees and hears you will come up and tell you how much they dig your bass. All this while you're sitting around grousing about how it doesn't sound exactly like a '64.

7. I want to bear your child, Munji.

8. I don't like the visual that this conjures up.....AHHHHHH!!!:eek: ;)

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Heck, I'll take this one step further. The Fender Deluxe has passive pickups and an active preamp. What's stopping you from ditching the active preamp and going passive on that brothertrucker? Just wire the darn thing up passive and see how it sounds. I'll bet it will be a success!

10. Fuzzbass

Some prefer passive basses not only for the tone, but also because there's less to go wrong, and no batteries to mess with.

Converting the P5 to passive might not be a big deal for someone with the required experience, but I can understand why someone would not want to pay a lot of money for a bass that isn't acceptable as is.

11. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I agree Fuzz bass. If I'm going to pay near a grand for a bass, I don't want to fool around with modifying it after spending that much money. I did see the 5 string American Deluxe Precision on ebay for 795 though...

However, Munjibunga has a great point that I think a lot of musicians forget. That being your audience wouldn't be able to tell the musical difference if you were playing a $99 dollar Johnson or Squier bass or if you playing a $1300 G%L or Stingray.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll send you a vial by Fedex. After that, you're on your own.

That said, remember, my very first bass was a Fender '65 P-bass (the pickups from which I still have, and they're for sale). Boy did that thing blow.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Fender is not alone in not offering a cheap, passive P-5 style bass. I would say that the marketplace in general is just not interested otherwise someone would make them.

One big problem is doing a split pickup in 3+2 configuration gives a different tone than the 2+2 because of the imbalance between the two halves.

G&L made a passive P-type many years back (L-5000); they show up used now and then for short money.

I'm a P guy when it comes to 4 strings but both my 5s are J-style.

14. I hear you and I feel the exact same way. Why doesn't anybody make a good passive P5. I was very disappointed with the P5 Deluxe. It kinda sounded like a P bass with only the neck pup selected, until you played the real thing and the difference was like night and day. It has the grunt but it lacks the delicate tonalities. jmo

15. g&l made a 5 string p a while ago... the l5000... im pretty sure they no longer make it though

[​IMG]

16. Fuzzbass

You're right that demand isn't there for a P5. The market's all about Jazz clones these days.

As for 3+2 split pickups: like you I once thought that it would be a problem electronically, but someone on another forum explained how it's not. Unfortunately, I don't remember the explanation... in short he said that the number of strings per coil didn't really matter, and also that a number of 5-string soapbars by bartolini and other companies are actually split-coil in 3+2 config underneath.

If someone else wants to confirm or deny (with explanation, plz), that would be cool.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Roscoe Beck V comes pretty close to a P-Bass sound if you want, and it's passive.

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    In a 5-string P pickup, the two coils are the same size, so that they have equal output and so that the combination will still be humbucking. there's just one less pole piece in one of the coils. So it's kind of like a 6-string P pickup, with one pole piece missing.

19. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I've been wanting to another PJ-5 myself.. I had a Sadowsky which was really nice, but I prefer a 35" scale.. Celinder just came out with a P-5 which looks killer and considering I already have 3 of the Vintage 5's and love em, I may order one... The Lulls look cool too...

20. Fuzzbass

That makes sense... thanks, PJ. :)