1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

why doesnt fender sell 5 string fretlesses ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alangoldstein, Apr 26, 2009.

1. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    i have a crazy question

im always searching ebay for a 5 jazz fless

how come they dont make them or do they ?

any help i appreciate. i dont care if its mij mim, or deluxe active V i just want a fender J 5 fless lined.

help!

alan

2. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    can somebody sell me a jazz 5 fretless fender? can anyone point me in the right direction ?
    jazz 5 fless! mim mij usa any !!!

3. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    try Warmoth or USA Guitars. Either a body from them or get a Fender MIA and swap out the neck for one from these guys.

4. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    i dont want a warmoth, tho, i want a total 100 % fender instrument

i dont understand why they dont sell a 5 fretless jazz. what gives.

tony franklin if your reading this, holla~

5. Fender builds what sells well. I believe they have offered these before. Probably try e-bay. There's also the Steve Baily 6.

6. ettsn

ettsn

Mar 29, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Fender Custom Shop will make whatever your little heart desires.

Bring money.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Get any Fender 5-string?

Have it de-fretted and epoxied.

8. isnt there a cheapie 5string fretless in their roster? could have sworn I played one in GC not too long ago . . .

9. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Why does it have to be Fender? Is it strictly because of the name recognition?

10. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    beacuse 5 string fretless basses are silly. :ninja:

11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Because they are too busy making a signature model for everyone and their dog. :bag:

12. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Because an unmeasured part of their success is based on most studios' preference for a Fender P or J sound, and if they started making fancier stuff, they would lose the confidence old-schoolers have in their "more quality, less features" methods.

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Got one - a 50th anniversary Jazz Deluxe V fretless. However, I'm pretty sure of of the previous owners had it defretted. Assuming that's true, whoever did the work did a pretty nice job.

I wasn't 100% sure so I posted the question at least once here asking if anyone knew anything about those models and if a fretless was an option. I never got any responses, though, so I'm still not sure if it was originally bought this way or it was done after the original purchase.

14. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    in honor of jaco, and for what i want and need sound wise, i wanted a J fretless lined, but 5. also, the jazz from MIM are pretty affordable. didnt wanna spend my left nut on this bass. ( custom shop 2000 and up right ? )

i wish they had a "road worn" 5 lined fless .... that would be the shizzznit. i.m.h.o.

yes, i wanted it to be a fender 100 % jazz.

looks like they dont sell one "off the shelf" and its only custom shop ? or a "defret" job huh ?

what a shame to have to go thru all that.

anyway, as one of u mention, the steve bailey is only unlined. i insist on lines.
    i didnt want "someone's signature bass" anymore, as im going for my own career path and identity, not theirs. =)
    this is why i sold my gary willis sigs basses. but damn they sounded amazing.

thanks!
    thanks for reading all of u

15. I think you'll find a lot of fretless players play custom shop models due to a lack of love/availability for various fretless basses. I hate to sound like I'm bashing Fender, but if you want even the simplest of mods, you either void the warranty or hafta pay through the nose for the custom shop.

The GW is an amazing bass, not quite designed to my specs, but I think the design is very intuitive.

16. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    :bassist:Get over it. It is what it is. If Fender doesn't make one, then either get a custom one or de-fret one and stop with the whining already.

17. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    didnt know i was whining. but anyway i ordered a carvin today so the fender V will have to wait.

clear gloss swamp ash body
    5 string.
    lined ebony. 24 position , NO dots on board.
    walnut / maple stripes neck ( mostly walnut )
    neck thru
    coil tap bridge pup
    abalone carvin logo
    black hardware.
    case

cheers! now the 7 week wait is on !

18. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    After all that you ordered a Carvin?

:: sigh ::

19. You could always take up the harmonica. And anyway, Jaco only needed 4 strings.

20. Meh, I've seen worse.