1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why doesn't my Spector sound as 'full' as my newly acquired Stingray 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dukeisdog, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Hey guys, just a quick question as I head out the door to band practice.

I bought a Spector Euro 5LX roughly a year ago, and have loved this bass since the second I laid my eyes on it. It's literally the perfect bass for me, fits in my hands perfectly, has that tone, etc.. And it was my only bass for that whole year. It was the only bass played through my rig, and the tone was so good.

About a week ago I found a Used Musicman Stingray 5 H lined fretless on Kijiji for a steal of a price and couldn't pass it up. I was expecting it to be my backup to my Spector but to my surprise it sounds way more full then my Spector does. All of my bandmates really loved the Spector until I got the musicman, and I'm starting to really like the Musicman as well. I prefer the feel of the Spector to the Stingray and wish I could get a more full sound out of my Spector.

What am I doing wrong here? My Rig is a Mesa M-Pulse 360 into a 4 Ohm Mesa Powerhouse 412 cab and I plug my Spector into the active input of my head. The Musicman isn't as loud through the Active input, so I throw it through the passive input and the tone is awesome. I can REALLY feel the bass now, and I really loved that Spector before the MM. I'm not able to send the Spector through the Passive input as the preamp is too hot and it just overdrives and doesn't sound good. I have the non trim tone pump and am wondering I guess if a preamp upgrade to the trim version would make it sound more full?

Not really sure where I should've posted this so I threw it in Basses. They're both quite common basses, hopefully someone that's played both could chime in?

2. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    i would say upgrade to the 9v usa (haz) or put the trim tp and make it 18v. yeah the nt tp is hot. super hot. good luck.

3. Thanks man, thinking that's what I'll do. I've seen you in the Spector club, I know we all love our Spectors haha, the Haz is just a lot of money to drop on just a preamp. There's absolutely no way to tame the non trim TP?

4. Well you are putting an active bass through the passive input of an amp, of course it will be louder and "fuller" than an active bass through the proper input.

The reason the Spector sounds unbearable through the Passive input is because it is naturally louder than the Stingray (which is apparently low-output enough to be run through the passive input of an amp).

5. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Because they are different basses.

6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Bingo.

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I can relate to this post. I owned a CRFM 5er with EMG DC's and an EMG BT pre and on my active channel it would clip my amp but it didn't seem loud at all coming out of the Speakers. The sound was very underwhelming honestly. I'm not sure if I could've done anything differently, but I sold the bass not long after.

8. +1....

....former Spector NS2A owner... current L-2000 owner...for the same reasons...

9. Yeah, now you're playing musicmans, right? I hope I don't have to go down this route. Gonna switch out the preamp to the trim or HAZ in a few weeks and I'll report back for future reference. I hope I don't have to sell this bass.

10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I have played Music Man's. I currently do not own one. That is not a slight against them at all, they make quality basses and I'll probably own another in the future.

When I owned that Spector, I had also just bought a cheap Hamer Cruise bass (the import). I played the Spector with the band and like I said, I was underwhelmed. I tried the Jazz and it was a fatter tone than the Spector. Plugged into the same "Active" input it had the same output as well. I'm not sure why the Spector had such a tame sound but was driving my amp?

11. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    the non trimpot tonepump is a turd of a preamp sadly. I've heard the trimpot tonepump and I think it's perfectly serviceable. the haz is pricey, BUT, somehow it's worth it. as far as I know I was one of the first to do the swap about two years ago and knew I'd made the right decision as soon as I plugged it in. the haz is not a hot preamp at all, it's just right in terms of output.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Whatever you do, do not bring a P-bass to your band practice... your band mates will insist you bring it every time!!

:D

13. sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    no way. lower your pickups as low as theyll go. i did that on my legend. granted it's not the trim tp, but it's better than the emg i had in before it. but i think haz or 18v trim tp would absolutely be awesome. i have no problem with sounding full, in fact, i have to turn the bass down on the amp so im not rumbling too much. ;) give it a shot but yeah, they are different basses and made differently. honestly, you couldnt give me a ebmm. id trade it for something else immediately. i just dont like the way they feel. imo, like a 2x4 :eyebrow:

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Major differences:

Electronics.
    Bolt on vs. neck through.

My Spector NS-5 is a bolt on, has a Bartolini passive pickup and Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. I've done plenty of head to head comparisons with it against my friend's Stingray 5. My Spector has more output and is much clearer than his Stingray. His Stingray sounds awesome, but my Spector sounds super awesome. It's just clearer and punchier.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    This is true. Firewood is always needed :)

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Not long after the CRFM I got a NS2J-AR and that bass killed. It had EMG J pickups in it and the same pre as my other Spector. Output was great, tone was great. I've had a few other neck thru basses and have found for the most part, they aren't for me.

17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    First mistake is ever plugging any bass into the active input. Always use the passive input, even if the bass is active. The active input is the same as the passive, but it has a resistor that decreases the output of whatever bass you plug in. It also will change the tone of that bass, and not in a good way.

There are a few instances that you SHOULD use the active input. Mainly for when the bass has an exceptionally hot output.

Oh and the reason they sound so different is because they ARE different.

18. sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    yeah or someone needs some support for their door frame.

19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    To the OP - I've run into the exact same brick wall you did. Years ago I bought a killer Stingray 5H and with DR Black Beauty strings on it she sounded like heaven. About a year ago I bought a Spector REX5 with the BT preamp and it just blew my Stingray to pieces, so I became a Spector convert and assumed that buying a higher end Spector would deliver even better tone. Wrong. My new Euro 4LX looks and plays perfect but doesn't sound nearly as good as my cheaper REX5 or my Stingray 5H. My 4LX has the non-trim tone pump and I'd agree with the other poster that defined it as a turd. I have heard sound samples from the Spector 9volt preamp and I like those so I'll probably do the upgrade, just wish I didn't have to.
    I probably won't be able to get around to the upgrade for a couple of months due to business travel so if you get yours done sooner PM me with your thoughts on the results.

20. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    volume pedal before the passive input?