Why DOn't all Tube Bass Amps come in 1000 watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MoTown, Dec 5, 2002.

1. MoTown

Nov 27, 2002
    Just curios I've been looking all over the internet for one and can't seem to find any?
  2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I think a 1000 watt Bass Tube amp would be heavy.
    I like the tube sound but I don't like to move heavy amps so I use a Tube Preamp with a digital poweramp.
    Digital poweramps are very lifeless but they are light (my DPC-1000 is around 15 pounds).
  3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Too many tubes, too much $$$ and butt-heavy!
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Because they'd be too expensive, heavy, delicate, etc.

300W tube amps already can kill a 1kW solidstate amp.

1kW tube amp could demolish a house.

There is one though...

offers a 700W tube amp - for more than 9,000$
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Exactly. Can you imagine how loud pushing a 1000 watt tube amp to distortion would be?:eek:
  6. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

7. Maybe a ****ty solid state amp, but my SVT wasn't nearly as loud as my Crest V1100 is.
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah. Put as much compression on the bass signal as an overdriven tube amp has, then put it through a 1kW solid-state amp. Guarantee you it's louder.
  9. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yeah, but it won't sound half as good.
  10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA

I work with two tube power supplies that are 1500 watts, and 2800 watts respectively. They each power a CNC laser cutting machine. The tubes are the size of mason jars and there are eight of them. Too bad they are DC.

Maybe I can swing a pic if anyone is interested.
  11. The biggest power amps today are between 300-400 watts. They weigh between 80 to 120 lbs (pv classic) It takes 2 5880's or 4 6L6 power tubes per 100 watts so a 1000 watt amp would need 20 to 40 power tubes, a 200 lb transformer, not to mention how much power it would draw. Now here is a question for the EE, could a tube amp be designed using a switching type power supply like a Stewart but tubes instead of transistors?
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

lay 'em on us. but WHY tube power supplies that big? is it just old equipment or is it tube on purpose?
  13. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Someone like psycho might have more practical knowlege in this area, but my guess is that a vacuum tube power supply of this type and application might be more operationally forgiving than the alternative. It has to be by design and not default as the rest of the machine is state of the art, or at least state of the art as of about 8 years ago. the newer 2800 watt machine is going of 5 years old, and bystronic now makes a 5000 watt machine that probaably still utilizes a vacuum tube power supply. Also, these power supplies are electronically regulated, with a full diagnostics system, so if anything is even just alittle out of whack, it tells you.

BTW, the older machine has only been retubed once in 8 years, and the big machine is still on the originals, keeping in mind that these machines operate an average of 16 hours a day.

I'll see if CD has his camera at the shop tomorrow, and I'll get some pics of big glowing glass, and plenty of DANGER! warning signs.
  14. Here's is the practical question-1000 watts of tube power why? My 810 can hardly handle 300 watts of tube powerand it pushes me off of the stage. By my guess it would take six gauge wire and 8 810's to keep up with one amp. Not to mention one huge diagram to hook those cabs up keeping the ohm rating correct.

Maybe I am dumb

ok I am
  15. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    What voltage? If it's high voltage they might just work better than comparable solid-state devices. I know they make high-voltage solid-state devices, but tubes are pretty happy up at 500v and above, where run-of-the-mill transistors / silicon diodes aren't (I don't believe - I could be wrong).
  16. I've got an Ampeg SVT 2 PRO head, which is 300 watts.....and 80 pounds or so. I think an all tube head with that much power would probably weigh too much.
  17. The Lasers in that cutting machine probably need tons of high-voltage power, hence the vacuum tube supply. Tubes are really good at high-voltage, high power stuff.

I worked at a place that made steel tubing, and their pipe mill used inductive welding. The RF power supply was one big radio tube, about the size of a 5-gallon bucket, about 30,000 Volts at a few amps. It was water cooled! The steel was bent around as it ran through an induction coil that induced current through the pipe walls, and right where it touched together is a high resistance, so all your power gets concentrated right there and melts together! Pretty cool to watch, continuously running like that welding the pipe seam together without anything touching it, just by passing through 3 turns of big copper wire.

18. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA

Well, they run on 440 and the warning sign says "Danger, 20,000 volts". Yes, the entire machine, including programming, the power supply, CNC conrols, the laser production resonator, all the optics, and the cutting head are water cooled with an outboard chiller that's about 1/4 the size of the machine itself.

It's kinda scary when you have to replace the power supply radiator (which is mounted right above the tubes, crazy) and you have to use a grounding wand on all the metal contact points to keep from dying.

no pics today, perhaps monday. I'll include a shot of the resonator that has purple plasma flowing through the resonator tubes, i'ts pretty cool! ...were heading for Off- Topic, I can feel it...
  19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yes, if you drop the tube amp on it. ;)