why dont basses have a trmbelo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Jan 10, 2004.

1. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I think thats how they are spelled. But you know, a whammy bar. I have seen some older "metal" type of guitars, but it would seem to just give a little extra oomph!!! Do they have a greater effect of bending the stings out of tune? Anyway thanks. Joe
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
  4. Les Claypool's bass has it.

Carvin in the 80s sold a bass with tremolo and I've seen one Steinberger on ebay with the bar.

Bass tremolos would be cool.
  5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    You can get bass tremolo.

They come as a standard upgrade on all Carvin basses.

You can also order one from Hipshot.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I had an old BC Rich with a tremolo, it was fun to play with, but it was too unstable for a primary instrument. The Kahler Tremolos were the first I believe, and were entirely state of the art, all self contained and attached with four screws, while newer ones like the Hipshots require extensive routing and cannot be returned to a hardtail, while the Kahler was possible. Until Hipshot offered theirs, Kahlers were just about the only thing out there besides Steinberger and a German Luthier (who's name escapes me, though he would not sell you just a tremolo, you had to buy the entire bass) and Kahlers sold for well over $300 used. They're fun, just not worth the money.
  7. Check out these Stambaughs..
  8. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks for the replys. It is an interesting thing. I just think it could be a faster, cleaner way to to get that sound, rather than bends and pre-bends. Alot of the stuff I play is really fast. I have older Guilds with them on, anyone played one? I own a few basses but my fav is a 1985 us made BC Rich. The neck is awesome!! Thanks joe
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There was a company, pork products or something that was reproducing tremolos and supposedly scored a deal to reproduce kahler tremolos, but I haven't heard anything from them in a long time, but they had a very good model from the looks of it, and fairly cheap too, compared to kahlers.
  10. I'm sorry for this question, what does a tremolo do on a bass guitar? What does it do period?
  11. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    whammy bars on guitars are essentially there to tremolo or bend entire chords at once, since single notes can be more easily (and much more effectively) tremolo'd or bent with the LH.

So put into perspective, a tremolo bar doesn't have much use on a bass, outside of being a fun novelty.

that's just my take on it.

12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  13. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    the japanese tune basses have tremolo's as options. they even got a special tremolo model:

14. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree. But try to explain that to Mr. Coven :)
  15. TheRongongo

Oct 25, 2003
    Brooklyn NY
    you can get a warmoth tremelo bridge, seems like one kick ass sob
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tremolo is actually a misnomer. Tremolo is a periodical change in <b>volume</b>, whereas a periodic change in pitch is actually called a vibrato.

Jens Ritter also designed a cool vibrato unit for his basses:

17. if i remember correctly, i'd read in a history of fender book, where it was leo fender himself who was the one who was mislabeling vibratos as tremolos.
  18. Victor Wooten's main bass has a tremelo/vibrato/whammy bar.
  19. If Leo Fender had stuck a vibrato on the P or J, you'd probably see a lot more vibratoes on basses, because no matter what he did, a legion of idiots would arise and proclaim it, "perfection."
  20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany