Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why don't basssist use 412 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Oct 20, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    just wondering why you don't hear many bass players useing 4x12 cabs.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I did for years... switched to a smaller stack.

now I use a 2x12 and a 12+10 stack.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    4x12's are pretty huge... I wont look at a box that larger than a traditional 4x10.

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I always wondered this too: for rock guitarists, the holy grail of cabs is a Marshall 4x12 stacked (x2) - 8x12" speakers

The same holy grail for rock bassists is the Ampeg 8x10" speakers.

You'd think bigger speakers would be better for bass.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I did up until the end of this summer, only reason I don't now is cos I live in a dorm room, and can't justify having a 300W acoustic amp and large 4x12 Peavey cab to the roomie, or the rest of the building...

Ray

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    You would think that. Look at modern subwoofers though...getting down to <7" cone size, and still have that massvie massive low end. Bigger doesn't = better, which is shown. Smaller = punchier whereas bigger = boomier (typically speaking).

Ray

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    They are just too big. A 212 and a 410 are about the same size. Have to say though, aguilar did it right by making their 412 go up. Its a lot easier to move than you would think and it has killer tone.
    btw, I use 212 and 410 together.

8. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I did for years.I had an Acoustic 470 head and the 105 (or 405, I'm too old and can't remember)bottom 4 -12's and 2 reentry horns.The cabinet sounded great, but it was huge and required a van or large station wagon to move.Speakers are much better now though, so a 2x12 or a 4x8 (which I have) work well ,and are a fraction of the size.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think that Steve Harris, Geezer Butler, Dusty Hill and Lemmy to name four use them in their stage rigs...

Peavey, Ampeg and Aguilar (among others?) make them...I've only seen the Peavey in real life. If they're not in the stores, not too many folks will buy them.

Besides, I think a bassist's real phallic symbol is the 8x10...or a 2x15...or an Acoustic 1x18 folded horn...they're bigger anyway!

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I think it's really any wall of speakers that get people moving :D.

Ray

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Eric Wilson uses an Aggie 4x12 with a vintage ampeg head. I really think 12s are crucial for a great dub sound.

12. i use a 4x12 and it sounds just perfect for me.
    but it´s a problem everytime i want to take it to a gig.
    too heavy, big, loud...but i love it!

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've been debating whether to get an Aguilar 412 for several weeks now. My band's stage volume is too loud, I've been using two 4x10's, and only one of the 4x10's for smaller gigs. It would be nice at some places just to wheel in the 412 and be done with it. However, at this time the expense just doesn't seem warranted for me and would be a total luxury - not to mention more crap to take up room in the garage during the week . . .

14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm going to be buying a GK NEO 2X12 here as soon as I get my check. I have a Peavey 4X10 (POS) and I'm just so tired of dragging it around. I have hurt my back a few times carrying it. If the GK is as good as Daniel Elliott says they are I'll probably end up buying another one to pair with it. I hate 15's, and 10's are only good if you have 4+ of them. Those 10" cabs are just too darn heavy.

15. i am a big fan of the peavey 412TVX, but it's way too big for my syle. i enjoyed playing through my friend's when it was his load-in (though i helped with load-out).

my rig, including bass, weighs less in total than that single cabinet.

robb.

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I had a steady gig at a Navy base that provided a backline of 412 Peavey Amps. I really liked the tone alot. It was nice to not have to lift it or move it, mind you.

17. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    I don't know. Guitar players seem to be able to schlep around a 4 x 12 which weighs 100 lbs plus with guitar speakers. The tendency I am seeing in my own gig is that my cabs are really just stage monitors. My sound is projected out front through our PA which has plenty of big old speakers and crossovers etc.

So now I don't even think I want to take my 4 x 10 with me since it is 86 pounds, and even though a roadie wrestles it at gigs, I still have to put it in the house when I get home. At this point 86 lbs is just about the same as real estate to me. I am thinking about just taking a Hartke 2.5 xl with me. Those little cabs are really something and only three hundred dollars and you can carry them with one hand.

18. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i used a peavey 412 tvx for the last 4 years or so. i got so tired of lugging that 130 pound monster around. waaay heavier than a boogie or marshall guitar cab( have owned both). the 412 had great bottom and was very loud. it also took a ton of power and never let me down, but it was too scooped sounding for me. (some people like that, i used to)
    mainly it was too damn heavy(and big) i rather have two smaller cabs any day. or one like i do now.

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as a guy who has to routinely schlep my guitar players 4x12 cabs around i can tell you that they are not all that heavy. But they're guitar cabs with small magnets and a thin profile. A 4x12 cab for bass will be a lot heavier. I do think aggie has a smart design, with a slimmer cabinet and the speakers in a line array. One discontinued cabinet I'd love to try would be the Bag End Q12, (surprise! - :p )but from what they say the difference in tone between the 1x12, 2x12, and 4x12 was minimal dure to each speaker being in a seperate chamber with its own port.

20. I have a 4x12 with Eminence Delta's and it is downright heavy. It's easier to tote one of my 2x15's than to load the 4x12.