1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why don't lots of other ragga-bassists use palm muting?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatty Banks, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    I just played a show last night (it was a crazy, ganja-smoking, baked crowd [no wonder they loved us so much]), and I decided to palm mute for some songs. It sounded amazing! My Epifani's played GREAT too- I don't know why so many reggae/ska players use Eden stuff when Epifani's twice as good in my honest opinion.

Am I the only non-Jamaican bassist that palm mutes? Sort of depressing.

2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    No, I've seen it before - plenty of times. One thing, though - "ragga" refers to "digital" reggae. I suppose this might explain why you don't see too many synth players palm-muting. ;)

3. Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    bass12 comes in and tells me off. I've heard 'ragga' used plenty of times for root, too.

You know what. Gah! Fine.

:)

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I do it. :cool:

5. Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    The fact that you own a Ric just rules reggae out for you. ;)

6. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Maybe you're just more talented than many of us. :meh:

M. M.

7. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    DING! DING! DING! We have a winner! i think its because the other players are only using puny 4 strings...6 strings gives you much much more palm room:D

:bag:

8. When I play reggae, depending on the tempo of the bass line, I mute with my palm but also sometimes with my fingers in my left hand. Especially when for faster bass lines where my thumb can't work that fast!!!!

9. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Great! So what do I win? Seriously, I've been working on palm muting lately. I love the sound it produces. The work involved in learning this technique seems easier than trying to squeeze an upright into a 4-door sedan. ;) Maybe because of the shape/size of my right hand, it seems much more manageable on my 4-string than on my fives. The more strings on the bass, the more difficult this technique seems...at least to yours truly. No worries...no pain, no gain. :)

Edit: I don't play reggae but palm muting seems to fit well in certain Blues songs. Singing lead over the top of it makes it even more of a challenge. :crying:

M. M.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Ragga denotes electronic reggae, mostly with keyboard bassline. Thus no palm muting.

Also, palm muting just isn't a traditional reggae technique. Right hand finger muting along with left hand muting does the trick.

11. I've never used palm muting before. Never even thought about. I'll have to try it later.

12. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I use it sometimes if the line isn't too busy. For the more syncopated lines I mute with the left hand. I do know that Robbie uses it quite a bit on recordings. Another reggae bassist who sounds like he uses it is Leroy Sibbles. In reggae music, knowing when to end a bass note is crucial to the groove.

13. jallen97

jallen97

Nov 12, 2007
    I love the sound of palm muting and/or left hand muting. It is a technique I need to work on more, though. I'm not very comfortable using it. I think maybe I should be practicing more reggae!!!!

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Check the Winner!

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Barbershop ragga.

16. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yes. It makes more sense to use the palm-muting for ska (which more commonly involved the use of an upright).

17. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    don't know enough reggae to play besides some slightly stoopid but it sounds fine without palm muting. maybe i'll mess around with some marley and see bout the sound

18. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I play a lot of reggae... and don't palm mute. However, sometimes I place my fingers right on the fret and mute that way, but usually only when the band as a whole has brought the dynamics down.

19. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Just do it like this and all will be good:

20. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    True that Leroy Sibbles does use his thumb (at least sometimes):

I gotta say - he's sounding a little rusty there - and check out the strings!