1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why don't maufacturer's use EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 27, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i've noticed that, althought brands like esp maybe use some of emgs products, bartolini dominates most "higher end" production basses.

you don't see much seymour duncans or emg...

i really want to try some emgs out.

2. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Maybe luthiers like the sound of Bartolinies over EMGs.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I would tend to agree with this statement. I think bartolini electronics have an overall nice shape to the tone, and are very versatile. My experience with emg's is that you get what you get.

4. It depends I guess...Modulus has options for Basslines pickups on some of their models.

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    In my expirence, all EMGs sound the same. I've played a Fodera VW with EMG and then a Vintage J with EMGs and I honestly couldn't tell a difference in sound.

6. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    so that could b good. or bad...

if u know wut sound u want. i guess it works.

and spector uses EMG passive.

but noone i can see uses actives.

7. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Many manufacturers use EMG. Spector, Schecter, ESP to name a few. However, whenever you add active pickups, it greatly affects the tone, sometimes coloring it too much. I like EMG's but sometimes think that they sound too distinctive. Also, EMG's are expensive so that would increase the cost of manufacture.

My favorite EMG's are the JV because they give some really nice jazz growl. Another good set are the TW's. You can get a wide range of tonal options.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Don't the Sadowsky Moderns come with EMG soapbars?

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Spector uses EMG actives in their Legend line.

10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Spector (US & higher-end CZ) and Modulus both use active EMGs as the standard pickups on their basses.

Sadowsky used to use them on their 24-fret models before going to their own branded pickups.

Fodera uses EMGs on the Vic Wooten models (obviously) and also offers Seymour Duncans as a custom option.

Lakland has a Seymour Duncans as an option on their 4-* and 55-* models, too.

Mike

11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The active EMG's were huge in the '80's, Spector, Steinberger, Modulus and many more used them. But that was also before tweeters were in every bass amp. I think their high end is a bit much for today's amps but roll off the highs a bit and they're a great choice. I also think that the Select line of passives may have hurt their perception of quality in the marketplace and that knocks them out of consideration for many people.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Early Warwicks came with EMGs, also most Guild Pilots.

It's just trendiness, in my opinion. Late 70s/early 80s DiMarzios were in everything from Hondos to B.C. Rich and Hamer. Then EMGs were hot, now it's Bartolinis.

One thing about Barts they may influence a builder's choice is they have many more flavors of pickups than EMG does and they also will custom wind.

13. I don't know but I'm glad they don't. I've never liked the sound of EMGs in any bass*.

*Well there's always an exception. I've heard one recording done with a specter that I liked.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    not any more. they use their own inhouse brew.

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Like anything else, the EMGs have "run their course" for now... In a few years, they may be the rage again...

Definitely, a destinctive sounding pickup

16. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I don't know if they still use this in their ads but EMG use to say their preamp allows them to create 2 resonant peaks instead of the usual 1 in a passive and this was responsible for their distinctive tone.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey bub. we have different forums here for a reason. a question about pickups goes in Pickups[bg]. a question about guitar goes in Miscellaneous[bg]. Basses[bg] is for questions about... yep, you guessed it. basses.

learn it.
    know it.
    live it.

18. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    What?:confused:

19. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, I'm not really sure either here's a quote I found

http://www.edromanguitars.com/parts/pickupemg.htm
    I'm pretty sure they aren't referring to the more common dual/single coil switching since they refer to that as

20. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I remember the old EMG ads, too. The current EMG website still makes some reference to the special character of the "resonant peaks" of the active pickups in the "Why EMG?" section:

Mike