1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why don't more amp companies use Ernie Ball style casters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Jul 24, 2012.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Man. This is the first set of aftermarket casters I ever bought and they kill anything I got on an amp. I got them for 20 bucks so they can't be more than 10-12 bucks to make. I wonder why more amp companies don't spare a couple bucks on the little things.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ERN-6102-LIST

Seriously. Amp seems to glide on air and the casters are easy to get out. Rated at 80lbs per wheel.

Call it a review if you want, but man these are awesome and easy to install :bassist:

Mods, I installed these on an amp but I am not sure it belongs here lol.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    EBs are nice, but i want no wheels on my cabs to rattle, roll around onstage, and put holes in the back seat!

that's why god invented hand trucks.

3. actually might not be a bad idea to throw on my GK glx410, it has pop out ones on it currently, but they're wobbly and tough to roll

4. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I installed them on a Trace Elliot GP7SM 200 combo. Took off all the rubber feet. Installed exactly where the feet were after drilling a 5/8 hole. Added a tiny bit of wood glue to each screw when I secured it just for longevity sake. Then reattached two rubber feet closer to the back of the amp inside the casters so I can pop the back ones out for tilt back purposes.

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    A number of companies have used these type of casters, including Fender, Peavey, and Marshall (theirs screwed in). They do work well.

The problem with them is that they require that you drill a fairly big hole in the cab to install. Also, the ones that I've seen have had smaller sized wheels. I've never seen ones with three inch wheels for example.

Some companies that used pop out wheels now use locking plates with standard casters. Boogie uses what they call track-loc. Reliable Hardware sells caster plates. The advantage is no large mounting holes and regular casters can be used.

6. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I used to work for a copier company and when we were throwing out some old ones I unscrewed the casters from the several hundred pound copier to attach to my 1x15 ampeg combo. I had to swap out the machine screws for wood screws, but this required no drilling large holes in it. Ten years and many gigs later the casters are still doing great (the amp head however has blown up twice and I've given up on it).:crying:

Morgan

7. I had some of those and they lasted a few weeks on my HS410. The weak point is the sockets - they get a bit looser every time you hit a bump. I now just have sturdy screw on ones.

@WalterW - they don't make any noise, and if rolling is an issue put the cab on its side (or use lockable casters).

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 These castors are my least favorite. First, you have to drill a large hole in the cabinet bottom for the post connector. Second, those posts tend to break easily and, as you point out, seem to loosen up with use.

If one wants the ability to remove castors, the plate design is MUCH better. More sturdy, much easier to install (no drilling, just simple wood screws), and the connection s much more 'sure'. Mesa also makes a version of these that are super heavy duty (too much so for most cabs).

These 'plate design' removables can be purchased at most speaker parts type websites, and come in the standard 2" versions, or the more hefty 3".

IMO and IME!

9. nanookofnj

nanookofnj

Oct 21, 2010
    Had that style caster on my Hartke Pro 2200 and they lasted about 3 weeks before 2 of them failed on the bottom of that cabinet. I loved that 2x12 cab, but those casters were complete pieces of crap.

10. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Looking at those the investment is more than I wanted to spend. Mesa charges 79 bucks and parting together the other casters mentioned looks like a 60+ shipping project.

I don't have much than that invested in the amp lol. If it were a top dollar amp or cab I would look into those options for sure.

11. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Did you drill a 5/8th's hole or bigger?

12. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    I have a set of these as replacements for the casters on my B-100R. they pop right in the factory sockets no modifications necessary. They also fit my D410XLT

I found the wheels to be too soft and they get chewed up real quickly. And I mean real quickly a few months use and they got to the point where they no longer roll well.

Still for $20 I can pick up a new set I suppose. Still looking for a similar caster with better wheels

13. nanookofnj

nanookofnj

Oct 21, 2010
    They came stock on the cab, so you'd have to ask Larry.

14. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Because 3" soft rubber ATA casters are better for cabs and amps heavy enough to need wheels.

15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The cost of descent quality casters tends to add up quickly. I build a simple dolly and the cost of four bolt on caster and the mounting bolts, nuts and washers came to over $50.

Something like this is more affordable if you can get it locally. You can disassemble it and cut it down to size. The problem with a dolly is that the cab can slide off when you are moving it.

16. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The reason I picked casters is because of removing the two from the back of the combo to have a tilt back option.

17. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    How does it work out doing that?

If there isn't enough pressure on the front wheels there is a chance that they can rattle with the low notes. I think that it should be ok though.

18. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I do it with my Ampeg all of the time. Just rests on the back rubber feet. No rattles.

19. Not sure which 'type' came with my Aguilar DB212 as stock, but they are the ones with a plate attached to the bottom of the cab and you can pop them in and take them out whenever you need to. When the amp is at home I just leave them out. They aren't that large or heavy duty, but for rolling to and from stages they are absolutely fine.

More manufacturers should include casters, IMO.

20. pineapplerobot

pineapplerobot

Jul 23, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I had some on my Fender Bassman 400 back in the day, took them off and lost them, recently replaced them with Ernie Balls wheels, they work fine, I just wish they were larger.