Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why don't more five strings have "P" style p/ups ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimM, Jan 14, 2002.

1. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I always hear about the quest for a fiver with that "J" growl,but how about one with that "P" thunder ?

And while I'm at it,why not P p/ups in the bridge or sweet spot position ? One of Fender's finest basses ever was the P.Elite II,which had the rare P/P combination.

I know,if I got out more often I wouldn't be asking such questions.Just wondered what you guys think.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    The Lull PJ5 has P pups. 2 pole sets on the first coil and 3 on the second.
    Doc

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Soapbar pickups are just a shape. It's what's under them that make the difference. So, that said, there are P soapbars, which in turn are in 5s...so there are a good deal of 5 string w/P pups, just in soap configureation, instead of split. This is what I read, so if I'm I'm wrong please correct me.

Unless, the whole split P design has some inherent design advantages to the soap P...?

4. I've been writing to the various pickup manufacturers about 5-string P pickups...

AERO makes a 6-pole pickup with one dead pole that functions as a 5-string pickup. Evidently the 3+2 combination does not lend itself to good hum cancellation.

Duncan offers them only through their Custom Shop (read: expensive). The Mike Lull P5 uses a Duncan custom pickup that appears to be a 3+3 with a dead pole.

Bill Lawrence has his P-46 pickup for sale, and it will operate with 4,5, or 6 string P-Basses. Dunno anything else about it. One of the guys on another forum has the P-46 coming as part of a P/J set, and he will report on it when installed.

The Lull P5 really appeals to me... but hot dawg... the price!

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The pups in my Lull P5 (sorry... don't mean to rub it in your face :p) are Lindy Fralins. The P-pup has 3 sets of poles in one half and two in the other. Both the P and the J pup (which I also believe is 3+2) are perfectly noiseless.