Why don't more people play Kubickis?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Dec 28, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    I've never really understood why more people don't play Kubickis...I've had several over the years and always liked the tone and feel (I even got used to the look of them)

Just something that I've been curious about.
  2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I had one for a while and loved the way it played, the balance and the craftsmanship. Why I sold it was that the longer scale E string sounded different from the other three. Not bad, just different and that bugged me. I've always been on the lookout for one of the non-Dtuning ones but haven't come across one I liked well enough to buy yet.
  3. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I think they are pretty ugly, I will say they sound decent, but how a bass looks has some part in my decision to purchase.
  4. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    I liked the look, sound and feel, but I found the electronics were too confusing. All the same, still a great bass.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Didn't like the headless look of the K basses, even when they were new. People play what they like.... guess they didn't like them;)
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played about a dozen over the years & they never did anything for me. I didn't like the sound, don't really remember how they felt but it couldn't of been that good. :p, & their <b>BUTT FUGLY</b>
  8. I haven't found one in a pawnshop yet. :p
  9. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I always heard people having neck problems with the bass, such as warping and twisting beyond repair. I'm sure those days are over?
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    My Kubicki is a prototype of an import model Kubicki was going to manufacture but the plans fell through. It still has the fastest neck I've ever played and it is perfectly balanced and comfortable to play. I guess the look can be a turn off for a lot of people but I rather like the way they look.
  11. except for you, no one cool plays them.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That would be pretty odd, with the number of laminates they use(d). I don't think I've seen a neck with more laminations. Maybe they got away from building them that way... they used to use multiple strips maybe 1/8" thick.
  13. couldn't they have the "Kubicki" sound without that body shape?

Just wondering
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Kubicki doesn't mass produce basses anymore, so they don't show up in shops. They have to be custom ordered, and they changed a lot from the original Kubicki sound, etc...I think. I might be wrong, because I'm certainly not an expert on Kubicki. One would think, though, that those would put off potential customers...or just help to never get any.
  15. I have heard them, but I don't think I would fork over over $2000 for one. The body style is cool, but I think the headstock is... well, just lame. But thats me.
  16. neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    I played one a few years ago. It was one of the best playing basses I've ever laid my hands on. I'd get one if I had the cash.
  17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Back in the day Kubicki licensed Fender to manufacture their basses. And we all know about Fender quality control. I've never heard about warped necks, but with the Fender made basses it doesn't seem all that far fetched. All of the new Kubicki's are made by Kubicki, and not Fender.
  18. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I've played a red one fairly recently at Atomic Music in College Park, MD. If I remember correctly, it wasn't a bad price either --definitely under a grand.

It is definitely an "odd-duck" bass. You have to like the whole steinberger/headless look for starters.
    The electronics are also unique: it had a tone switch with 7 or so different basic settings --sort of like some of the danelectro guitars-- in addition to other switches and knobs. And, of course, there is the "d" tuner key that flips up in order to lower the range of your 4th string.

However, in terms of playablility and sound, I thought it was great. Really easy to play finger, pick or slap on. It also had a really wide range of tones. I seriously thought about buying it, but couldn't justify the purchase of another fretted four-string.

If anyone lives in the Baltimore-DC area and is interested, I think it still may be hanging out over at Atomic.
  19. Oh, I've played one (Ex Factor). I didn't like the way it looked, played or sounded so that's why I don't own one. If others like them, cool, to each their own!
  20. Aren't they also slightly shorter scale?

I think Kubickis were way ahead of their time. When Stu Hamm was playing one, it looked like a bass from the future. It's now the future, and the most popular basses still look pretty much like they did before. Kinda like those 70's houses that looked like they were from outer space.