1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why don't more pickup makers use blades?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Teacher, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    The title says it all. I'd think blades would be more popular that they are, considering string spacing/placement wouldn't be a factor. So what gives?

2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Mongo don't know. Must have something to do with where choo choo go.

3. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Hahahahaha!

4. Because it's harder to make, and it really doesn't make a difference. The magnetic field thrown up over a typical 'polepiece' pup is effectively so large and wide that string mis-alignment just doesn't matter.

5. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'd say it's easier to make.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I don't agree with that. When you bend away from a round pole you can hear it. The volume drops and the tone changes.

Also the field from round poles is more focused, so you get hot spot right over the pole, and then it drops off.

You can prove this with a gauss meter. Blades give a more uniform field over the pickup, and generally pull less on the strings.

I mostly only use blades in my pickups. Pickups with blades aren't harder to make. Just different. The only pickups I make with poles are vintage designs.

I think so many use poles because many pickups are just copies of older designs. Also some players get weirded out when something deviates from some 50 year old design.

7. Not by a long shot. Please explain your position?

8. Blade pickups are harder to make with machines. I know about making things with machines. And it really doesn't matter. Much.
    If it did, all pickups would be blade pickups.

9. Are you talking about exposed blades? If you dont, i disagree. All of the closed pups that i know, i used and im using now have blades inside, not rods...

10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Please explain. I make blade pickups. With machines? I use machines. You mean drilling holes is easier than making a bobbin with a blade? That's silly. It's way easier making pickups the way I do it. Making Fender style pickups is a pain.

No, not all pickups would use blades, because the big guitar companies don't change the way they did things since the 50s. Look at the Gibson humbucker. It has two mounting screws, and it wobbles. It's a stupid design. The only reason it has adjustable poles it because the marketing department said that Fender didn't have adjustable poles. That's why things were done the way they were done. They aren't interested in making them better.

Meanwhile Bartolini, EMG, Bill Lawrence and others use blades. They weren't trying to do things the old way. Gibson also uses blades in the TB+, and SG neck pickups.

11. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    David pretty much said everything I was about to say. As long as we are talking about blades that are not visible. I guess you haven't made many pickups with non-premade parts. It's easier to make a bobbin for blade pickup than for rods pickup.

12. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Nordstrand is offering blade pickups and they are not more difficult than a "traditional" one to make, actually quite the opposite.. (as David noted)

M

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

They are very widely used. All manufacturers use them, except those who go for a vintage look.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Are EMG's blades? Except of course for the obvious ones.

15. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    As far as I know, all of them.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well a lot of people use EMG's, so there you go ;)

17. Well alright. I defer to those who make pickups. Still say it doesn't matter much.:D

18. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    If you are not bending the strings off the poles it doesn't. If you do it does. Besides blades fit any string spacing and number as long as the blades are wide enough.

19. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    +1

Pretty much says it all. Makes it sooooo much easier when trying to replace pickups as well.

20. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Huh. I didn't know so many non-exposed pickups were blade designs. Learn something new every day! Thanks, guys.