1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why don't Musicman HH models come with white PUPS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlepre, Mar 4, 2008.

1. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I've ordered my Sterling 5 in Trans Orange w/ white pearloid pick guard. Now why can't I order the PUPS in white instead of black? :meh:I really like the look of the white pups against the white pick guard. I know that it's possible if I order a single H model, but I like the HH better for my style of playing/music.:bassist:

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I seem to remember EBMM saying you can't get white covers anymore, on any bass. Not certain but I definitely read it somewhere, can't tell you if it's true or false though.

3. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    I suspect you are in the extreme minority.

4. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i like the white too...

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

If I had a white pickguard I wouldn't hesitate to go for white pickup covers. I may be in that same minority but to me that seems like the obvious choice.

Of course, that's just my preference, not something I'd mandate for all.

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Perhaps best answered at the EB forum?

7. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I posted this same question yesterday and haven't gotten one response.:meh: I figured that some of you guys would have some opinions as well.:smug:

8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Maybe I'm in the minority,:meh: but it seems I have company, :)so it may not be so extreme?:smug:

9. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Hey, I'm cool with it myself, but you just don't see many white pickup covers. I'm not a fan, but to each his own.

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Comments?

11. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Maybe because in time they will turn yellow? I've seem some basses with white pup covers that yellowed in time and they look awful.

IMO and YMMV...:D

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Seems like they could offer replacement white covers for a few bucks if there were enough demand.

I suspect there's not much demand, tho.

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Hey Bart,

Thanks for your opinion. Why do you think that there wouldn;t be a demand for white PUPS? Would it be easy to replace the cover? Would they come from EB or third party?

14. JamesTheBassBoy

JamesTheBassBoy

Oct 12, 2007
    London
    you could proberly buy some white pickup covers from somewhere?, or if your that bothered, get them specially made?

15. black guard white pup...yellow now as some would say. I call it vintage.

Attached Files:

16. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    See, I don't mind if they yellow over time, I just like the look of white on white.

17. yea was originally white on white but all the white made it SO cherryburst looking that the black really tames it a bit.

18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I just think that black pickups tend to be much more popular. It's not a scientific study, but it seems like more than 90% of pickups are black, and companies try to sell what people want, so therefore I would infer that there probably isn't much demand for white pickups.

FWIW, the pickups on my Reverend 5L are white, and yes, they have yellowed a bit, but it's a retro looking bass anyways, so it fits.

It would be very easy to replace pickup covers, once you've got them. Getting them would seem to be the hard part.

19. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I like white with a white pickguard -- especially on a SR5.

20. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I love white pickups.

[​IMG]